LLANHEDRY FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1301669

Date first listed: 19-Aug-1953

Statutory Address: LLANHEDRY FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LLANHEDRY FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301669 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 07:39:40.

Location

Statutory Address: LLANHEDRY FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Brilley

National Grid Reference: SO 27594 50043

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRILLEY CP - SO 25 SE 2/13 Llanhedry Farmhouse 19.8.53 - II Farmhouse, now divided into two houses. C14 or C15 origins, altered C17, mid-C19 and late C20. Timber-framed, partly cased in coursed painted rubble, part weatherboarded with slate and corrugated metal roofs, hipped at east end and three rebuilt brick ridge stacks. Originally a central hall range of probably four framed bays aligned east/west with cross-wings at each end. The west cross-wing survives and has a large external rubble chimney with tiled offsets and a rendered brick stack in the south-east angle. The east cross-wing has gone but there is a two-bay service wing to the rear of the east bay with an external chimney and large diagonal rubble chimney on the east side which may represent part of it. Part single storey and attic with dormers, part two storeys. Framing: not visible externally but the south gable end of the cross-wing has a jettied first floor on shaped brackets. North front elevation: hall has two buttresses probably added in the C19. Windows are mainly C20 casements. Hall part has a 4-light and a 2-light window on both floors. The main entrance adjacent to the cross-wing has a lean-to rubble porch with a catslide roof and round- headed archway and there is large door within, possibly C17. Cross-wing has a lean-to outshut at the gable end and two 2-light C19 first floor case- ments in the angle. Interior: only partly inspected but some substantial wall-framing survives and also a C17 doorway with a shallow triangular head. There is recorded to be at least one cruck truss surviving inside and a C17 ceiling in the former hall. (RCHM, III, p 24, item 6; BoE, p 86; Alcock, NW: CBA Cruck Catalogue, 1981).

Listing NGR: SO2759450043

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 150566

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 24
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 86
Alcock, N W, 'Council for British Archaeology Research Report' in Cruck Construction An Introduction And Catalogue, (1981)

End of official listing