This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WESTEND FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WESTEND FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1301708

Location

WESTEND FARMHOUSE, A 44

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: County of Herefordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Docklow and Hampton Wafer

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Jun-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 149616

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DOCKLOW CP AND off A 44 (north side) SO 55 NE DOCKLOW (DET) CP 3/53 Westend Farmhouse 11.6.59 II Farmhouse. Early C17, altered mid-C19 and late C20. Coursed sandstone rubble and some timber-framing with rendered infill. Partly hipped plain tiled roofs with brick stack to rear of main ridge and at north end. T-plan; main range of four bays aligned roughly north/south with four-bay cross-wing added later at south end. Two storeys and cellar. Framing: three rows of panels at first floor level exposed on west side of north bay of main range. West front elevation: main range has a C20 bay window, a C19 tripartite sash window with a central four- pane sash on the ground floor and a 3-light C20 casement, a C20 cross-casement, 4-pane C19 sashes and a C19 single-light casement on the first floor. The main entrance situated in the second bay from the north end has a C20 half-glazed gabled porch on a rubble base and a partly-glazed door within. The cross-wing has no openings at its west gable end but in the angle with the main range are two ground and first floor 4-pane C19 sash windows and a ledged and battened door. There is a timber-framed single-bay outbuilding to the rear of the north bay of the main range. This has been altered in the C20 and new forms part of the house. Interior:main ceiling beams are chamfered. Arched doorhead survives on first floor of main range and also some panelled doors. Most of internal timber-framing retained. There is a small section of the original staircase with turned balusters and a square newel with a shaped finial in the main range. (RCHM, Herefs III, p 44, item 4; BoE, p 197).

Listing NGR: SO5578857761

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 44
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 197

National Grid Reference: SO 55788 57761

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301708 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 08:14:03.

End of official listing