CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1301742
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301742 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 02:15:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Westhide
National Grid Reference:
SO 58622 44191

Details

SO 54 SE; 7/175

WESTHIDE CP, WESTHIDE

Church of St Bartholomew

26/01/67

GV

I

Parish church. Late C12 and C14, restorations and additions of 1866/7. Sandstone, nave roof has plain tiles, tower has slate. C12 west tower; two-bay nave, part C14 and part mid-C19; large C14 south aisle; two-bay mid-C19 chancel; south porch and vestry.

West tower: squat, plain and of three stages; pyramidal roof with large central weathercock; small central lancet to each face of second and third stages; buttresses with off-sets to east side. Nave: two mid-C19 2-light windows to north each with trefoiled heads and quatrefoil in tracery above. South aisle: large 3-light trefoil and ogee headed C14 east window under moulded hood; south and west windows are similar but of two lights and smaller, angle buttresses to south-west and south-east; blocked doorway with C14 moulding under 2- centred arch in west wall next to tower. Chancel: 3-light mid-C19 east window with cinquefoil heads; re-set C14 2-light ogee and trefoil headed window in north wall; one trefoil headed lancet to west of south wall; ogee lancet to its east, restored. South porch: contains on east side a late C13 coffin lid with incised cross and foliated enrichments. South doorway has 2-centred deeply moulded arch with mutilated stoup cut roughly in north jamb.

INTERIOR: the two bays of nave are separated from south aisle by one C14 octagonal column supporting two 2-centred arches similar to off-centre chancel arch; tower arch late C12 or early C13, 2-centred with trumpet capitals. Nave roof, formerly ceiled, is supported by brattished wall plate on north side and trussed collar beams probably C14 or C15, some of which have been restored. Late C19 waggon roof to south aisle and chancel. Chancel: two C14 re-set corbels with heads of man, to north side, and a woman, to south, of east wall. Two c1900 hinged candle brackets, one each to north and south walls are made of wrought iron with initials SB and five detachable brass sconces to either side. Nave: mid-C19 pulpit, rectangular in plan with Romanesque style capitals and marble columns to west and marble bas-relief of St Bartholomew set in recess on south side; a dwarf wall to south of chancel arch, in some stonework supports a pine lectern. South aisle: font, probably C13, with round bowl on columnar shaft. Soffit of east window has C14 ox-blood coloured scrolls. Similar paint to arch over recess in south wall containing recumbent male, C14 effigy with feet resting on a dog and to corbel heads of a bishop and a queen to either side of east window. C14 piscina on south wall: trefoiled head and foiled drain with two sockets angled inwards from east jamb. Beneath is a C17 slab resting on its side with two effigies of a woman and a man in armour, both decapitated. Attached to the west wall an inscribed alabaster slab of Richard Monyngton died 1524, and his wife Alice. He is dressed in armour; beneath are 16 weepers: eight sons and eight daughters.

Listing NGR: SO5862044192

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
154138
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 205-6

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/06718/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Drummond. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].