HAUXWELL HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1301772

Date first listed: 13-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: HAUXWELL HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of HAUXWELL HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301772 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 16:59:56.

Location

Statutory Address: HAUXWELL HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: West Hauxwell

National Grid Reference: SE 16181 93335

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEST HAUXWELL HAUXWELL HALL SE 19 SE 8/47 Hauxwell Hall 13.2.67 GV II* Country house. Late C17 and mid-late C18. C17 phase for Sir Marmaduke Dalton. Coursed sandstone, part rendered, and ashlar, with Welsh slate roofs. Central C17 3-storey block altered C18, flanked by C18 2-storey ranges. North front: coursed sandstone with ashlar dressings. 2:3:3:2 bays. Main 3-storey, 3-bay range: ashlar plinth. Central part-glazed door below overlight with ovoid panel of Elizabethan heraldic enamelled glass, in chamfered quoined surround with cornice supporting 2 ball finials. 15-pane sash windows with 12-pane unequally-hung sashes to 2nd floor. Ashlar parapet. Hipped roof. Ashlar stack between bays 2 and 3. 2-storey range to left: ashlar plinth, quoins. Sash windows with glazing bars. Ashlar parapet. Hipped roof. 2-storey range to right: ashlar plinth. 15-pane sash windows. Roof hipped to right. Ashlar stack between bays 2 and 3. 2- storey range further to right: part-glazed door in ashlar surround; sash windows with glazing bars; hipped roof. South, garden front: ashlar, left- hand block rendered. 3:3:3 bays. Central 3-storey block breaks forward: chamfered rusticated quoins. Central part-glazed leaved doors below 2-light overlight with ovoid panels set in quarries within a pedimented Tuscan doorcase. On either side, sash windows, with glazing bars in lower sash, and with ovoid panels set in quarries in upper sash. Band. First floor: sashes with glazing bars. Second floor: 6-pane sash windows. Cornice. Parapet. Corniced central stack. Flanked by 2-storey blocks with sash windows with glazing bars and bands; cornices and parapets as central block. Ground-floor windows of left-hand block have ovoid panels of Elizabethan heraldic enamelled glass. Further to left, recessed 2-bay range of dressed stone has sash windows with glazing bars in ashlar surrounds, parapet and firemark of Yorkshire Insurance Company. To far left, lower continuation of same range, with 2 sash windows below 9-pane unequally-hung sashes. Parapet. East front: ashlar. 4 bays. Continues style of south front. One lst-floor sash has upper ovoid panel. Interior: below central block and east range, vaulted cellars. Date "1672" on stone near first doorway of cellar. Within cellar, 2 medieval doorways, one with ogee chamfer and chamfer stops to jambs and a bolection moulding to lintel, the other with bolection moulding to jambs. Back stairs, above entrance to cellar, have late C17 decorative turned balusters to first floor, splat balusters to second floor. Entrance hall: open-well staircase of late C17 decorative turned balusters in oak, painted white. In east range, to north, morning room of c.1810, with large fireplace, minstrels' gallery, and a ceiling divided into square panels, with moulded ribs, perhaps of C17. To south, the drawing room of early-mid C18, with Vitruvian scroll over fireplace, fluted Ionic pedimented doorcase with bayleaf garland on pulvinated frieze, eared panelling and fine modillion cornice. At south side of central block, the dining room with deep Doric frieze, perhaps of c.1810. On south side of west wing, the Library has imported C17 panelling with incised frieze; thick astragals. On first floor, above it, the tapestry room with C18 overmantel and cornice. West wings have queen post roofs. VCH i, p. 246.

Listing NGR: SE1618193335

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 321932

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1914), 246

End of official listing