CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1301843
Date first listed:
30-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301843 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 22:05:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wychavon (District Authority)
Parish:
Church Lench
National Grid Reference:
SP 02414 51266

Details

SP 05 SW CHURCH LENCH CP MAIN STREET (north side) 8/45 Church of All Saints

30.7.59

GV II*

Parish church. C12, altered and extended C14 and C15, restored 1852-3 by F Preedy and 1887-8. Lias with ashlar dressings, stone slate and slate roof. C12 nave, C14 and C15 south aisle; late C15 west tower, C14 chancel. West tower: three stages, top stage offset, diagonal buttresses, crenellated parapet with corner pinnacles, belfry has square-headed louvred windows; square- headed windows to ground stage. Nave and south aisle: south wall: four bays, C19 south porch in west bay with 2-centred head to outer openings; south door: 2-centred head of two orders, outer roll moulded, with restored respond and shafts; next bay has window with square head and two trefoiled lights, then two square-headed windows with square labels; C15 clerestorey: three windows: two trefoiled lights under 4-centred head; east window of aisle: three trefoiled lights under 4-centred head; north wall: C12 north door with semi-circular head, plain impost blocks; large central window of C15 with three trefoiled lights under 4-centred-head, two windows to clerestorey. Chancel: rebuilt C14, heavily restored mid-C19, three bays: south wall: central window has two cinquefoiled lights, flanking windows two trefoiled lights all under square heads; central window over a square-headed door between two buttresses (all restored); east window: three trefoiled lights under segmental head with label; north vestry/ organ chamber mid-C19. Interior: nave: tower arch segmental pointed of two chamfered orders; arcade to south aisle of three bays, the east bay a flattened 4-centred arch of two chamfered orders, other two bays have 2-centred arches with two hollow moulded orders continuous down piers; chancel arch: segmental pointed of two chamfered orders; corbel to support statue in east wall of south aisle; respond of arcade has stone statue canopy with nodding ogee; rood loft stair in thickness of wall at north-east corner of nave. Roofs: all C19: nave: four bays: king-post trusses with trefoil panels in spandrels; chancel: three bays, arch braced collar trusses, C14 style, with C19 painting. Fittings: glass: C15 fragments in tympanum of blocked north door, the rest of the fittings are mid- to late C19. (VCH 3, pp 48-49; BoE, p 120).

Listing NGR: SP0241451266

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
148318
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1924), 48-49
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 120

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05826/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Harnwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].