This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FORMER COACH HOUSE OF CLERVAUX CASTLE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER COACH HOUSE OF CLERVAUX CASTLE

List entry Number: 1301880

Location

FORMER COACH HOUSE OF CLERVAUX CASTLE, JOLBY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Croft-on-Tees

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 322674

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CROFT-ON-TEES JOLBY LANE NZ 20 NE (south side, off) 8/35 Former coach-house of Clervaux Castle

- II

Coach-house, now garages and outbuildings. c1843. By Ignatius Bonomi and John Augustus Cory for Sir William Chaytor. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, Westmorland slate roof. 3 and 2 storeys, 9 bays. North-east elevation: quoins; carriageway to left of centre with timber lintel, probably an alteration; on first floor, 9 slit vents treated as loop-holes with ashlar quoined jambs; first bay rises as quoined tower with battlemented parapet; other bays of 2 storeys with battlemented parapet behind which falls monopitch roof. South-west side: concrete lintel to carriageway, other former coach-house openings have timber lintels below segmental relieving arches; some with board leaved garage doors; chamfered ashlar slit vents to hayloft above, and shuttered pitching hole; quarter- round corbels carry gutter; to right, tower has quoined doorway with leaved doors, and ladder to hayloft; clock on top storey of tower. The building was part of a neo-Romanesque mansion built 1842-3, and demolished in 1951. The nearby stables have been converted into a bungalow. H Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), p 123.

Listing NGR: NZ2705309024

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 123

National Grid Reference: NZ 27053 09024

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301880 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 06:58:48.

End of official listing