THE VICARAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1301981
Date first listed:
22-Aug-1984
Date of most recent amendment:
06-Jan-1999
Statutory Address:
THE VICARAGE, 41, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE VICARAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301981 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 14:52:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE VICARAGE, 41, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Stow cum Quy
National Grid Reference:
TL 52062 60478

Details

TL 56 SW STOW-CUM-QUY MAIN STREET (East side)

219/8/163 No 41 The Vicarage 22.8.94

GV II*

Vicarage. 1887. Architect W. White (1825-1900). Red brick with rubbed and moulded brick dressings, tile hung gables, red plain tile roofs with deep eaves and plain wooden barge boards. Two storeys with attics and cellar. Rectangular gabled plan with service rooms and yard to north and east. Brick plinth. Main entrance facing north with two-centred chamfer-moulded-arched doorway, panelled half -glazed door with side lights. West facade; attic gable to right hand and small gable to left hand with four-light casement windows, and between a small triangular attic window. T o left hand at ground and first floors three-light casement windows with transomes in chamfer-moulded segmental brick arches. Ground floor bay window to right hand with tiled roof hipped to canted bay with transomed casements. INTERIOR details includes large wooden dog-leg staircase with chamfered square balusters and square newels with moulded caps, lit by Gothic stained glass window, exposed chamfered floor joists, fielded pine boarding to service doors and walls, main rooms with four-panelled doors. Door and window furniture specially designed. Original wooden fire surrounds survive throughout with tiled or brick inner faces. Orginal plaster coving. Plans and Specification Diocesan Office, Ely. This is an extremely fine and well preserved example of the very late architectural style of William White, one of the most prominent Victorian architects of his day.

The previous list entry read:

TL 56 SW STOW-CUM-QUY MAIN STREET (East Side) 8/163 The Vicarage

II

Vicarage, 1887. Architect W. White (1825-1900). Red brick with rubbed and moulded brick dressings, tile hung gables, red plain tile roofs with deep eaves and plain wooden barge boards. Two storeys with attics and cellar. Rectangular gabled plan with service rooms and yard to north and east. Main entrance facing north with two-centred chamfer-moulded-arched doorway, panelled half-glazed door with side lights. West facade; attic gable to right hand and small gable to left hand with four-light casement windows, and between a small triangular attic window. To left hand at ground and first floors three-light casement windows with transomes in chamfer-moulded segmental brick arches. Ground floor bay window to right hand with tiled roof hipped to canted bay with transomed casements. Brick plinth. Interior details include staircases with turned balusters lit by Gothic stained glass window, exposed chamfered floor joists, fielded pine boarding to service doors and walls, main rooms with four-panelled doors. Door and window furniture specially designed. Plans and Specification Diocesan Office, Ely.



Listing NGR: TL5206260478

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
50677
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Feb 2004
Reference: IOE01/11683/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tree. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].