THE CWM, FRONT TERRACE AND RETAINING WALL TO SOUTH-WEST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1301984

Date first listed: 03-Jul-1985

Statutory Address: THE CWM, FRONT TERRACE AND RETAINING WALL TO SOUTH-WEST

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CWM, FRONT TERRACE AND RETAINING WALL TO SOUTH-WEST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301984 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 18:05:24.

Location

Statutory Address: THE CWM, FRONT TERRACE AND RETAINING WALL TO SOUTH-WEST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Llanrothal

National Grid Reference: SO 48897 17634

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 41 NE LLANROTHAL CP LLANROTHAL

4/155 The Cwm, Front Terrace and retaining wall to South-West.

II

Shooting box, now farmhouse. c.1830s, on site of and incorporating part of a demolished C17 house. Squared sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings; low- pitched hipped slate roofs with wide eaves. Roughly T-plan facing South, with 2 extensions to West, one (to South-West) being a C17 survival, the other (to North-West, from the stem of the T) being a long kitchen range. Informal front. Two storeys, cellar and attic, lit from rear; 2:3 windows, glazing bar sashes,the 2 left-hand ones in a hipped break, blank to 1st floor right; stuccoed portico in angle with fluted Doric columns in antis, arched doorway with plain fanlight and panelled door. Mipped bay window to right hand return and lower possibly late C18 rear range with arched stair window at join Set-back to left of front is a significant survival of the earlier house - a single-storey-and-attic cottage (?one-time kitchen wing) now stone-clad and with 2 gabled half-dormers and Gothick glazing and doorway to front; 3-light wood-mullioned ovolo-moulded window (no glass grooves) survives to rear. Inside are 2 pairs of upper crucks formerly with a collar purlin, evidence of former newel stair to right of large fire-place, evidence also that the masonry is a secondary cladding; heavy cross-beam and chamfered joists; the ground rises steeply to West and there is a gable entry to first floor. Attached to South- West corner of this survival is a short stretch of retaining wall about 10 yards long and about 14 feet high to base with bee-boles on its North-West side. Broad terrace in front of house to lend air of gentility. Site of one-time Headquarters of Jesuit Mission in South Tales established by 1600 and by 1622 of the clandestine Jesuit Province; in 1678, as a result of the Titus Oates Plot, raided and disbanded by the Bishop of Hereford. (Foley history of the Jesuits in England( ) Vol.IV p.462ff; Duncomb Vol.VI (Hundred of Wormelow); RCHM Vol.II p.172).

Listing NGR: SO4889717634

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 153949

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932)
Foley, , History of the Jesuits in England462
Watkins, J , Duncombs Collections towards the History and Antiquities of the County of Hereford Hundred of Radlow, (1902)

End of official listing