CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1301991
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301991 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 12:28:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Richmondshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Grinton
National Park:
YORKSHIRE DALES
National Grid Reference:
SE 04614 98426

Details

GRINTON GRINTON SE 0498 (west side) 23/29 Church of St Andrew 7.12.66 GV I Church. C12, C15, C16, restored 1896 by Searle Hicks of Newcastle-upon- Tyne. Rubble, flat lead roofs. Chancel and nave with continuous lower aisles, chantry chapel in angle between chancel and north aisle, south porch, west tower. Chancel of 2 bays: C15 Perpendicular 5-light east window and 2-light south window, both with 5-cusped tracery; C16 Perpendicular 3-light north window with semi-circular heads, no tracery. 5-light east windows with hollow-chamfered mullions, semi-circular heads, no tracery, to north and south chancel aisles. C16 3-light north window to north chancel aisle; 3-light south window with large trefoil cusping to south chancel aisle, and doorway with 4 centred head, roll on chamfer. Nave of 4 bays divided by stepped buttresses: to south, 2 C16 2-light windows, south doorway with continuous roll mouldings and heads on label stops, south porch with apex cross and stone benches, south- west window of 3 lancets; C16 clerestory windows, battlemented parapets, sundial dated 1833. To north, C15 and C16 Perpendicular 3-light windows. North aisle has west door and C16 5-light window. 3-storey embattled tower, 2 stair vents on south side, also bench mark; clock; cross window on all faces of belfry stage. Interior: double-chamfered arcades with octagonal piers, flat Perpendicular roofs. Chancel: fragment of sedile with ovolo mould; hatchment to Dorothy Darcy d.1698; floor slab to Thomas Langstaffe d.1702; doorway to chantry chapel with chamfered surround and 4-centred head. Chantry chapel with 2 light vents and rubble barrel-vaulted roof, is separated from north chancel aisle by late medieval woodwork. North chancel aisle, the chapel of the Swale family of Swale Hall: late medieval screen with single-light divisions, round-headed lights with 5 cusps, cusping; royal coat of arms 1693; stained glass coat of arms of Swale family in east window. South chancel aisle, the chapel of the Blackburn family of Blackburn Hall: medieval screen with single-light divisions, ogee tracery with 3 cusps, cresting; floor slab to Elizabeth Blackburn d.1687/8; fragments of C15 stained glass in east window, said to represent St George, also in black-letters 'Maria Bredlingtone', referring to links with Bridlington Priory. 'Leper squint' at junction of chancel and nave. Chancel arch has C12 respond to north, steps and door to rood screen, C14 arch above. Nave: late Jacobean pulpit, sounding board dated 1718; floor slabs including Elizabeth Hutchinson d.1697/8, William Mortimer d.1707; wall memorial to Anthony Close d.1786; circular Norman font with chevron design, fine Perpendicular cover. Tower arch Early English, shafts missing, C12 window above. North aisle: wall monument to Thomas Peacock d.1710 and family, by Davies of Newcastle-upon-Tyne; floor slabs to Mary Birkbeck d.1812, Adam Barker d.1701, Ann Barker d.1692. South aisle: Decorated piscina with broken basin, Jacobean screen perhaps part of squire's pew, wooden wall memorial to Edward Elliott d.1795, floor slabs to Margaret Charder d.1728, Rev. John Taylor, no date.

Listing NGR: SE0461498425

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
321966
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/12867/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nigel Press. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].