CHURCH OF ST JUNABIUS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1302116
Date first listed:
30-Apr-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JUNABIUS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JUNABIUS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302116 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 04:01:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JUNABIUS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Llandinabo
National Grid Reference:
SO 51840 28439

Details

LLANDINABO CP - SO 52 NW

3/30 Church of St Junabius (previously listed as St Dinebo)

GV II*

Parish church. Medieval but almost entirely rebuilt by A Lloyd Oswell, c1881. Coursed sandstone, rock faced sandstone and sandstone dressings, timber-framed bell-turret and tiled roofs. Two-bay nave, two-bay choir, north aisle, north vestry and south porch. West end of nave has a lancet between a pair of weathered buttresses which support the west side of the bell-turret; west window of north aisle is trefoil-headed, a catslide roof covers the north aisle which has on its north side three buttresses with two groups of three lancets between them and door to vestry towards the left; the east end of the north aisle has a pair of lancets. The east window of the chancel has 3 lights under a 2-centred head and label; the south window is a lancet. The south side of the nave has a 2-light window with Y-tracery to the right and a lancet to the left; further to the left is the pine south porch. The south doorway has a chamfered 2-centred head. Interior has largely medieval nave and chancel roofs, the first a wagon roof with raking struts above the collars, the second with braced collars. C16 screen between chancel and nave has three bays either side of central entry, grotesque cornice band of dolphins, and a "Renaissance" head in a roundel between two mermaids. The north aisle is separated from the nave by two bays divided by an octagonal oak pier. Chancel has a wall brass to Thomas Tompkins, drowned 1629 and a Kempe east window. C13 font, with octagonal bowl and stem on late C19 base. Pulpit incorporates two panels of early C17 round-arch design. Late C19 organ in nave carries Lloyd Oswell accommodation plan dated 1881. (RCHM Vol I, p 166).

Listing NGR: SO5184028438

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
155186
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931), 166

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Feb 2006
Reference: IOE01/15181/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Tudhope. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].