THE OLD VICARAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1302131

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1952

Statutory Address: THE OLD VICARAGE, SOUTH SIDE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD VICARAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302131 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 05:05:23.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD VICARAGE, SOUTH SIDE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Stamfordham

National Grid Reference: NZ 07676 71965

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 27/04/2016. NZ 07 SE 15/407 27.8.52 STAMFORDHAM SOUTH SIDE

The Old Vicarage

(Formerly listed as: The Old Vicarage THE GREEN (South side))

II

GV

Former vicarage, now 2 houses. C17 and early C18, partly remodelled 1764 for Thomas Dockwray, and additions of 1847 by John Dobson. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Graduated Welsh slate roof. Double span.

Facade in 3 sections. To right a 2-storey, 4-bay projecting section. In left bay half-glazed door with architrave, dated 1764, pulvinated frieze inscribed AEDES HAESCE LABENTES REFECIT THO DOCKWRAY, and pediment bearing Rococo decoration and shield. 12-pane sash, 4-pane sash and French window on ground floor. Broad 1st floor band and narrow 1st floor sill band. 12-pane sashes on 1st floor. Steeply-pitched roof with kneelers and renewed brick end stacks.

One-bay section recessed to left; late C17 or early C18. 3 storeys. Narrow 12-pane sashes with triple keystones and moulded sills.

To left and contiguous with central section a 3-storey,3-bay range also with triple keystones but without the moulded sills. Steeply pitched gabled roof with kneelers and old brick ridge stack.

Rear span: C17 section to left in old, thick masonry; large external chimney stack. Extended to right by Dobson in ashlar. 6-panel door in pedimented Tuscan entablature; 12- and 9-pane sashes.

Interior: drawing room, of 1764: panelled walls with enriched moulding and dado rail, multi-moulded cornice with dentils, wood Rococo chimney piece with basket of flowers in the frieze. Dining room has large early C18 fireplace with segmental brick arch and stone relieving arch, large solid 2-panel door. Former kitchen has fireplace flanked by 2 segmental-arched cupboards with chamfered stone surrounds. Several 2-panel doors. Early C18 roof timbers. Cellars by Dobson with shallow segmental brick vaults.

Listing NGR: NZ0767671965

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 238893

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing