Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1302198

Date first listed: 24-Sep-1985

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302198 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2019 at 22:36:02.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: New Forest (District Authority)

Parish: Sopley

National Park: NEW FOREST

National Grid Reference: SZ 19700 99724



11/1 Church of All Saints


GV 1

Church. 1906 by Detmar Blow for Lord Manners of Avon Tyrell. Caen stone and rendered brick, aluminium roof. Remarkable Edwardian Baroque church, on north south axis, 3 bay with projecting centre bays on both sides, apse and west end with separate roofs, and west cupola, symmetrical about axis. East side has moulded plinth, in end bays rectangular leaded 24-pane window in stone architrave with hood and corbels. Over moulded timber modillioned cornice. In centre stone door, of architrave with panelled pilasters supporting console brackets surmounted by pediment. Above large round window in architrave with head of putto and wings. Over large semi-circular gable with cornice carried round, supported on each side of bay by pairs of modillioned cornice. Roof hipped with flat-top, and cupola vent at east. East end has blind windows in architraves either side of apse, which has similar at end and small oval frames on sides. Cornice carried round and half-conical roof running into main roof. At west, centre projection similar to centre side bay with small roof surmounted by octagonal timber cupola with ogee roof and weathervane. Inside apse has wall paintings of 1922 by P A Traquair of the Te Deum using local people as characters. Cornice and half- vault. Nave has 2 arcades of 4 Tuscan giant columns, with east 2 bays narrower, supporting groin-vault with panels between columns. West bay has timber screens with doors across aisles and gallery over nave with curtains below. 3 inscribed tablets relating to the First World War by E Gill and large monument 1917 to John Manners by Sir B Mackennal.

Listing NGR: SZ1673798427


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 143786

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing