CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1302289
Date first listed:
20-Dec-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302289 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 21:03:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Test Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Barton Stacey
National Grid Reference:
SU 43488 41145

Details

SU 44 SW BARTON STACEY MAIN STREET (West Side)

4/83 Church of All Saints

II*

Parish church. C12, C13, C15, C16, and restoration of 1877. Originally a Norman 2-cell church, given north and south aisles circa 1180, with 2 arches supported by round pillars, which remain. Extensions eastward in the C13 continued the arcade, with 2 octagonal columns on each side, ending in a short chancel. The eastern unit of the arcade opens onto transepts, with arches separating them from the aisles, supporting another (or chancel) arch across the nave. Tiled roof. Flint walls with stone dressings; lancets and Perpendicular windows, some corner buttresses. The chief feature is a western tower of circa 1610 (set into the end of the nave) of Perpendicular style, with castellated parapet, octagonal stair turret incorporated within one of 2 massive diagonal buttresses. South porch of the last period. Within, there are several wall monuments of the early C19, and floor slabs of the late C18, a Purbeck font of the 2nd period, having a square bowl, with arcaded sides, resting on a central drum and 4 columns, medieval encaustic tiles in the sanctuary, a C17 altar table with carved (Flemish) figures, and Prescription boards (in the tower).

Listing NGR: SU4351641215

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
139550
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07880/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr George Ayres. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].