CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1302322

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1957

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302322 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 01:51:35.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane (District Authority)

Parish: Farleigh Wallop

National Grid Reference: SU 62517 47526

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 64 NW FARLEIGH WALLOP 15/25 26.4.57 Church of St Andrew

II*

1750, 1871. A rebuild of 1750, with restoration of 1871 (including the addition of a west tower). The plan is a symmetrical cross of 5 squares, with one window on each outside wall (except the south side of the southern arm). Old tile roof. The walling is in squared flintwork with flush red brick quoins at the internal corners, the outer corners also having quoins on each face, but strengthened by brick pilasters (flush on the gable face and projecting on the return), cavetto stone moulding to the plinth. Stone dressings to the tower and stone windows, 6 of which have 3 lights with cusped heads, within a rectangular frame (probably of the original design) and 4 (east window and northern arm) with painted heads, hoodmoulds and tracery (of 1871). The tower, of Perpendicular style, has a crenellated parapet, weather band, traceried bell-stage opening, diagonal stepped buttresses, a plain west door, and a stairway attahed to the north-west corner of the western arm. Within, the north and south arms have raised floors approached by central flights of steps. There is a screened area for a vestry on the north side (resulting in a higher window) and the south side end wall has 2 fine monuments, with lettered panels enclosed by pedimented Corinthian (pilastered) Orders. The eastern arm has C18 altar rails with twisted balusters and end statues, above a step; there is linen-fold panelling to cill height, and above are painted panels ( Commandments and Lords Prayer). There is a C16 late Gothic altar tomb and 5 large finely-lettered floor slabs of the early C18. The pulpit, lectern and font are Victorian. The timber-framed roof is arch-braced, with 2 bays to each arm.

Listing NGR: SU6194647370

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 138604

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing