SK 84 SW STAUNTON HIGH STREET (east side)
8/47 Staunton Hall and service
Country, house. C16, late CIB probably by J. Carr of York, C19. Coursed
rubble, ashlar, brick, some rendering. Hipped slate roof, with gable with
bellcote to the east. B irregularly dispersed stacks, that above the centre
west bay is star shaped with 8 points. The north front has, off centre east,
a projecting 2 storey coped and gabled porch. The central tudor arched doorway
has a door with blind panels decorated with 4 quatrefoils to the base and 3
arched lights above. Over is a hood mould with label stops and above,
supported by 5 corbels, is an ashlar plaque carved with the Staunton coat of
arms and dated 1573, having decorated surround and slightly projecting hood.
On the let floor is a stone transom and mullion casement with 3 arched lights,
lead panes, hood mould and label stops. The west wall of this bay has a blocked
opening. The bay to the east has single stone transom and mullion casements
on each floor, each with 5 arched lights, lead panes, hood mould and label stops.
The bay west of the porch has on the ground floor west a stone transom and
mullion casement, with 5 arched lights, lead panes, hood mould and label stops.
Above are 2 similar casements, that to the east having 3 lights only. The
ground floor window has stained glass in the top half of the central 3 lights.
Between the 2 floors, in the centre, is an ashlar plaque resting on the remnants
of a string course, with a carved coat of arms and dated 1554. The 2 outer
bays are both ciB canted brick with 3 glazing bar sashes to each floor. To
the east are early C19 coursed rubble extensions. The let with hipped slate
roof and rendered stack to the rear with. 3 pots. 1½ storeys. Ground floor
arched entrance with 2 wooden mullion casements to the west with 4 and 3 lights
with blank arches over. Above 4 wooden mullion casements with lead panes and
3 arched lights to those on the west, with a single 2-arched light window to the
east. All under flat heads. Between ground and flat floor are 2 + wall
plates. The attached extension to the east has a hipped slate roof with gable
to the west, with single gable stack. 1½ storeys, but slightly lower than the
former extension. There are 2 casements to each floor. All are stone transoms
with 3 lights and follow the same pattern as those to the west, however the
panes are lozenge shaped. There are 6 round tie plates. The extension is
continued to a coursed rubble wall with brick coping and ciB ashlar orb on
ashlar base at its east end. The south front, probably by John Carr of York,
is coursed rubble and brick with a few ashlar dressings. Set on an ashlar
plinth. 2 storeys, 10 bays. The off centre canted 3 bay projection has a
central doorway, 4 steps up, with moulded ashlar surround and moulded brackets
supporting a slightly projecting hood. The ½ glazed door has a 6 pane overlight.
Flanked by single glazing bar sashes with 2 bays to the east and single bay
to the west, with outer projecting double bays. All have glazing bar sashes.
Those to the 3rd and 4th bays in from the west are under segmental arches
and have ashlar surrounds and keystones. Above 10 similar sashes. The eastern
projecting double bay has to its west side between ground and let floor a
blocked opening with ashlar surround, there are a few ashlar quoins to the bay
east of the western projecting double bay. To the east is a single storey red
brick extension with hipped slate roof and single brick ridge stack. There are
3 glazing bar sashes.
Listing NGR: SK8056743213