- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- RUFFORD ABBEY, OLD RUFFORD ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302352.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 01-Mar-2021 at 09:19:49.
- Statutory Address:
- RUFFORD ABBEY, OLD RUFFORD ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 64565 64780
RUFFORD off OLD RUFFORD
SK 66 SW ROAD (east side)
6/78 Rufford Abbey 18.3.49
Cistercian Abbey founded 1147 by Gilbert de Gant. 1170, C13, C14, C15. Granted to Earls of Shrewsbury 1537. Partly demolished and converted to country house 1560-1. Passed to Saviles 1626. Remodelled 1685-95. Additions c.1720, altered c.1790, and 1838-40 by A. Salvin. Partly demolished 1959. Rubble, brick, dressed stone and ashlar with ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs. Lintel and eaves bands, coped gables with kneelers. 2 gable stacks and 2 side wall stacks, one of them external. 2 storeys plus basement and 4 storeys plus garrets. 6 bays wide by 12 bays deep. T-plan. Windows are cross and mullioned leaded casements with chamfered and rebated reveals. Many unglazed. Roofless north wing has C13 undercroft and superstructure C16 and C17. West side has off centre bridge, mid C19, leading to porch tower. 6 bays. Ashlar. Plinth, pilasters, balustrade with round headed openings and moulded coping. East end has a pair of scroll brackets. West end has steps with splayed flanking scroll brackets. Porch, C16, restored C19, 4 stages, has parapet with chamfered coping. Basement level has to north and south an archway with segmental head. Entry stage has to west moulded four centred arched doorway with C19 panelled doors, flanked by single barley sugar columns with Corinthian capitals and entablature. To north and south a cross window. Third stage has to west an oval cartouche with Arms, strapwork brackets and blocked obelisk finials. Fourth stage has to west a chamfered strapwork panel and single window and to east, opening with segmental head. Basement to left of porch has to left 5 small moulded openings and to their right, a C15 round headed triple lancet, and beyond, a mullioned window. Above, 8 double cross windows. Basement to right of porch has 3 windows and above, 3 cross windows. Above again, 3 smaller windows. East side has basement with 4 unequally spaced doorways and to right, blocked fireplace. Above, to left, remains of a mullioned window and 6 openings. To right, remains of cross window and opening with moulded segmental head. To right again, remains of 2 openings. Above again, remains of 2 mullioned windows. North east return angle has roofless extruded corner with a cross window and a doorway to east and to north. South range, C17, remodelled C19, has partly demolished north east corner with remains of various openings and fireplaces. To right, recessed bay with cross window. Double east gable has 3 cross windows. Above, 3 large blocked openings with keystoned eared architraves. Above again, 3 similar smaller architraves, blocked or with remains of timber mullions. South front has off centre gabled bay with clock and bell turret, and to left, external stack. To its left, adjoining gatepier with ball finial. 3 windows and to right, chamfered doorway with C19 door. Beyond adjoining boundary wall, 2 round headed doorways. Above, to left, 3 cross windows and to right, on different level, 4 similar windows. Above again to left, 3 cross windows. Above again, to right, 5 mullioned windows. Above again, to left, 2 cross-eaves gabled dormers with mullioned casements. Gabled bay to right has central window in opening with segmental head. Above it, ashlar panel containing clock. Above again, octagonal bell turret with round headed openings and bracketed cornice. Stepped ogee leaded dome with wind vane. North side has a similar clock dial. West gable has 2 mullioned windows and above, 2 cross windows. Above again, 2 similar windows and above again, central window with hood mould. North wing undercroft has to north, chamber with C13 groin vault, 4 bays, with 3 octagonal piers with chamfered bases and moulded octagonal capitals. Moulded octagonal corbels. To north, pseudo pier with pointed arched opening. To south, transverse chamber with groin vault and 3 pointed doorways. To south again, chamber with C14 vault, 4 bays, with chamfered ribs and faceted conical corbels. 3 round piers with water holding bases and moulded capitals. East side has large C19 ashlar fireplace with chamfered lintel and hipped tiled hood. North wing has to east, blocked 3 light window with timber mullions. To its right, C14 coved reveal with masks and foliate bosses. South wing has stud walls, winder stair with square newel and moulded C18 landing balustrade with turned balusters. C17 plank door with cross patterned weatherstripping and timber cased lock. Single C19 Gothic style fireplace. C19 purlin rood. Kitchen has to east, 3 openings with segmental heads and linked hood moulds, and to south, opening with segmental head and large C19 range. Flanked by single round headed doorways. Above, brackets carrying remains of elaborate smoke jack. Now in Guardianship of English Heritage, also an Ancient Monument. Sources: Pevsner. Notts. C.C. handout (Rufford History). Rufford 'Past and Present' Guidebook. Country Life, XIV p.650 and LXXXIV, p.189.
Listing NGR: SK6456564780
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Rufford Past and Present Guidebook
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1951)
'Country Life' in Country Life, (), 650
'Country Life' in Country Life, (), 189
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 33 Nottinghamshire,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing