ELTON FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1302354

Date first listed: 11-Jun-1959

Statutory Address: ELTON FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ELTON FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302354 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 12:20:49.

Location

Statutory Address: ELTON FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Elton

National Grid Reference: SO4556970942

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ELTON CP ELTON

SO 47 SE 4/30 11.6.59

Elton Farmhouse

II

Farmhouse. Late C16, extended in early C17 with mid-C19 alterations. Timber-framed with brick and rendered infill on rubble and brick base, some brick replacement walling and partly roughcast; plain tiled roofs with brick ridge stack to central range. H-plan; main range of three framed bays aligned east/west with single-bay north-east wing. Main range has large chimney in its west bay and wing has external chimney on its east side. During the early Cl7 a cross-wing of two framed bays was added at the west end which has an external rubble chimney with off- sets and a brick stack on its west side. Between the wings, on the north side, a lean-to porch with a catslide roof was also added at this time. Two storeys. Framing: two rows of square panels per storey. C16 wing has a north end collar and tie-beam truss with four struts and a V-strut in the apex. Cl7 cross-wing has a north end collar and tie-beam truss with two collars, four struts to lower collar and two to upper collar. The lean-to porch has two rows of panels from sill to wall-plate. North front elevation: central porch has a 3-light C19 casement and a ledged and battened door. Left gable end has a 2-light C19 casement on both floors, the ground floor window has a plank weathering. The north gable end has a 3-light C19 casement on both floors. There is a weather- boarded lean-to addition with a catslide roof on the east side enclosing the external east chimney. Also adjoining the east end of the main range is a timber-framed wing of two bays with a doorway in its north front elevation. Interior: main range noted as having retained most of its internal framing and also has a large fireplace in the west bay. The two- bay east wing has a central upper open cruck truss with an upper king strut above the collar. The cruck blades are very slender and elbowed. (RCHM, Herefs, Vol III, p 57; BoE, p 128).

Listing NGR: SO4556970942

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 150209

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 57
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 128

End of official listing