NUNWICK HALL AND RANGES AROUND SERVICE COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1302602
Date first listed:
20-Oct-1952
Statutory Address:
NUNWICK HALL AND RANGES AROUND SERVICE COURT, B6320

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUNWICK HALL AND RANGES AROUND SERVICE COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302602 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 16:35:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUNWICK HALL AND RANGES AROUND SERVICE COURT, B6320

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Simonburn
National Grid Reference:
NY 87957 74134

Details

SIMONBURN B 6320, Nunwick NY 87 SE (East side, off) 9/123 Nunwick Hall and 20/10/52 ranges around service court GV II*

Country house and service court ranges; c.1745-52 probably by Daniel Garrett for Lancelot Allgood; contemporary interior plasterwork by Philip Daniel; entrance porch and dining-room bay added and interior altered c.1829 by Ignatius Bonomi; east range of service court heightened in mid C19. Tooled sandstone ashlar, graduated green slate roofs and ashlar chimneys. 4 ranges around service court on north-east corner of main block.

Main block. 3-storey, 5-bay south (entrance) front has plinth and sill bands. Pair of doors with fanlight and side lights behind tetrastyle Roman Doric porch. 12-pane sashes and square 6-pane sashes (on second floor) in architraves. Pedimented central window on first floor, in splayed architrave with balustraded apron, is flanked by sashes with pulvinated friezes and cornices. Eaves cornice. hipped roof with 2 ridge stacks. Similar 5-bay east return with elongated ground-floor windows"'aid added 2-storey, canted dining-room bay in same style. Venetian stair window on set-back 3-bay section of west return; single-storey, 2-bay link on rear to service court.

Service court. South range: single-storey, 3-bay centre has pedimented doorway, flanking 12-pane sashes in architraves and clock tower on ridge with cupola on arcade of 8 Tuscan columns; flanking 2-storey, 3-bay pedimented pavilions have 12-pane sashes in architraves flanked by niches with 6-pane sashes above; hipped roof. Altered east range: wide 2-storey, 3-bay centre and projecting pedimented end bays; central Venetian doorway and Venetian windows in end bays, all recessed under round arches; 12-pane sashes elsewhere; hipped roof. 2-storey north and west ranges, linked by segmental archway, are altered and have boarded doors and sashes.

Interior not seen but contains high-quality contemporary plasterwork, chimney- pieces etc., as detailed in the articles cited below.

Lean-to shed on west range and later C19 addition on north range of service court are not of special interest.

(Gordon Nares, "Nunwick, Northumberland", Country Life, Vol CXX July 12th & 19th 1956)

Peter Leach, "Designs of a practical man - The Architecture of Daniel Garrett", Country Life, Vol CLVI September 12th and 19th 1974).

Listing NGR: NY8795774134

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
240807
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 120, (1956)
'Country Life' in 1 August, , Vol. 156, (1974)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 31 Northumberland,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].