CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1302613

Date first listed: 19-Sep-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302613 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 08:25:38.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills (District Authority)

Parish: Suckley

National Grid Reference: SO 72096 51638

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 75 SW SUCKLEY CP -

3/60 Church of St John the Baptist -

GV II

Parish church. 1878/9 by Hopkins on site of former medieval church. Rough- faced, snecked rubble with ashlar dressings and tiled roofs. 2 bay chancel with vestry to south, 3 bay nave with clerestory and aisle to south and north transept, timber south porch, west tower. Decorated style. 2-light windows in chancel, 3-light east window; gabled vestry with shouldered chimney and entrance to south; 3-light windows to nave and quatrefoil-in- circle clerestory windows; large, gabled porch with carved infill panels and quatrefoil pierced bargeboards; north side of nave has transept under catslide roof with 3 north lancets and 2-light east window. Tower, roughly 3 stages, quatrefoil-tracery panelled plinth to lower stage, also 3 strings; west doorway has sandstone nook-shafts with carved foliage capitals; dagger- lobed quatrefoil light to each face of middle stage with imbricated frieze just below belfry stage; large, paired bell-chamber lights with red sandstone nook-shafts, crocketted corner finials to parapet, and pyramidal, tiled roof supporting crocketted finial with cockerel weathervane. Interior Nave has wagon roof; chancel has 4 principal rafters supported on foliated corbels; south aisle has 6 arch-braces with quatrefoil pierced decoration and foliated corbels. Chancel arch has column cluster base, with foliated capitals, and supported on corbels enriched with birds, fruit and flowers. Chancel has C14 arched recess in north wall, with ballflower label decoration and foliated east label stop, containing brass to Thomas Littleton, d 1666, a former rector of the parish, with a coat of arms above the inscription; piscina in south wall with cusped head and label with ballflower decoration; east window has red sandstone nook-shafts with foliated capitals; Norman font with chamfered base and lozenge ornament; C19 pulpit with C17 arcaded panels carved with arabesque work; C19 altar rails; C19 pews; Parish chest in south aisle; many C18 and C19 wall memorials in base of west tower; stained glass in chancel by Kempe, 1900/5. (BoE; VCH, Vol IV).

Listing NGR: SO7209651638

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 151367

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1924)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968)

End of official listing