This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CRISPE ALMSHOUSES AND CHAPEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CRISPE ALMSHOUSES AND CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1302631

Location

CRISPE ALMSHOUSES AND CHAPEL, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: South Gloucestershire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Marshfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Nov-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 34527

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MARSHFIELD C.P. HIGH STREET (north side) ST 7773 13/114 Crispe Almshouses and chapel 17.9.52 (formerly listed as Almshouses)

G.V. II*

Row of 8 almshouses and central chapel. Dated "1612" - "1619", for the Crispe family. Ashlar; Cotswold stone slate roof with coped raised verges and saddle stones; overhanging eaves and convex moulded cornice; ashlar ridge and stacks with moulded cornice. Single storey on a plinth and attics in 8 stone gables which are coped and have a typical Cotswold finial. Single window and door per house; the plank doors are grouped in 4 pairs. 2-light casement windows with ovolo moulded mullions and surrounds, under a continuous string course on the ground floor and under drip moulds in the gables; the centre 2 windows flanking the porch have semi-circular heads. Single storey projecting porch to the chapel; embattled parapet, and segmental headed door surrounds, ovolo moulded on the exterior and chamfered on the interior. Above the porch is a central wide gable which bears 2 sets of Crispe armorial bearings between 3 Corinthian style engaged columns under an entablature and cornice. Central square clocktower, surmounted by a broached octagonal spire which has a mushroom shaped finial and a weathervane. Interior: stop chamfered beams to the houses; plain interior to the chapel with two inward leaning piers which support the tower. The westernmost gable is inscribed: "1612./10.DIE.AUGUSTI./THOMAS.CRISPE./FILIVS./ NICHOLAV.CRISPE./POSVIT.HVNC.LAPIDEM.". The easternmost gable is inscribed: "1619./30:DIE:IVLII:/NICHOLAVS:CRISPE:/FILIVS:ELTAE:CRISPE:/POSVIT:HVNC:LAPIDEM:" A very good example of C17 vernacular almshouses, occupying a very important site as the first building in the village street.

Listing NGR: ST7739073771

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 77390 73771

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302631 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 07:01:26.

End of official listing