EASTLEACH HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1302791

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1987

Statutory Address: EASTLEACH HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of EASTLEACH HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302791 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 16:05:50.

Location

Statutory Address: EASTLEACH HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Eastleach

National Grid Reference: SP 20334 05172

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EASTLEACH EASTLEACH MARTIN SP 1905-2005 13/175 Eastleach House GV II Large country house. 1900 by Walter Cave for Charles Dimsdale. Coursed rubble limestone; ashlar and rubble chimneys; stone slate roof. Stylistically combining Queen Anne and Cotswold Tudor revivals. Central stair hall plan; 2-storey with cellar. North (entrance) front: north range given vertical emphasis at centre by projection with 3 moulded parapet gables with ball finials. Fenestration mainly concentrated in this part: central moulded Tudor arched doorway with initials 'C' and 'B' in left and right spandrels respectively - Cave and Bazley. Flanking single-lights; large stair window over is mullioned and transomed with 5 upper and 3 lower lights. Continuous hoodmoulds extend to ground and upper floor 4-light casements below outer gables. All casements to this part have decorative leading. Two fine lead rainwater heads. South (garden) front: central gabled projecting wing with moulded parapets to sides linking with 2 smaller parapet gables above main fenestration. Mullioned and transomed casement to each floor of wing with keyed oval gable vent having pierced stone screen. Mullioned casements below outer gables. Row of 4 diagonal chimney shafts with moulded caps set transverse to ridge to left of central wing. West elevation: 2 parapet gabled ends of north and south ranges enclose small courtyard with Tudor arched doorway in mullioned and transomed screen to ground floor. Main gables have 2-light attic vents with decorative timber screens. Interior: very distinctive with simple panelling and boldly projecting, simplified mouldings. Fireplaces are classically derived but with attenuated column mantelshelf supports rather similar to Voysey's detailing. Central hall has fine staircase with involved plan forming a half landing above main entrance lobby. Hall fireplace has carved datestone 'GSB 1900'. Gardner Sebastian Bazley had inherited Sir Thomas Bazley's estate by 1900, Sir Thomas having started the house for his daughter and son-in- law, using stone from a large ruined house at Macaroni Downs Farm. Walter Cave's one major Cotswold House stands on prominent position to east of village. Stable and coach house to east (q.v.), built for previous house on this site; also lodge to west (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SP2033405170

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 127423

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing