CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302954.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 01-Mar-2021 at 11:31:01.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cotswold (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 03116 15624
SP 0315 WITHINGTON WITHINGTON VILLAGE
8/170 Church of St. Michael 26.1.61 GV I
Anglican parish church. C12, C13, early C14, C15, restoration and minor additions by David Brandon 1872. Coursed squared and dressed limestone. Vestry; ashlar, stone slate roof. Plan; nave with projecting porch on south, central tower with chapel on south chancel with vestry on north. Chancel rebuilt C13. C12 corbel table reused from former nave, with grotesque animal and beast's heads on north and south sides. South wall (from left to right) trefoil-headed lancet, C19 plank priest's door with decorative hinges within flat-chamfered pointed surround, scroll- moulded hood. Three-light hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned window with cinquefoil headed lights and Tudor-arched head with rosette stops right. Perpendicular 5-light east window. Trefoil-headed lancet in nave north wall. Vestry lit by C19 trefoil-headed lancets, trefoil light towards apex of gable,. Three stage tower, lower stage C12, second (containing clock) C13, third stage C15. North side of tower buttressed and rebuilt at bottom c1840. Former access to tower from inside tower altered to external access via plank door up 5 stone steps within buttressing. Tall round- headed light to left of doorway. Pointed window with hood to second stage; now blocked with lancet inserted in blocking, similar lancets in 3 other faces of tower. Five-light belfry windows with stone louvres and Perpendicular tracery to third stage each with crocketted ogee head. Corner pilasters with sunken panelling continued up to form pinnacles. Strings between stages and below embattlemented parapet. Nave C13 with C15 clerestorey. Stepped plinth to nave north wall. C12 north door with chevron moulding over plain tympanum. Five 3-light clerestorey windows with cinquefoil heads to each light, pilasters between windows continued up through parapet with finials. Three-light Perpendicular west window replacing C12 round headed windows (still visible either side of present window) and cutting C12 sill course. Nave south wall; 3-light Perpendicular window with stepped mullions far right, remains of moulded plinth below, incorporating slatestone monument to Robert Whitterne died 1667 and Robert Whitterne, died 1712. Remains of lid from infant's stone coffin with carved cross left. Clerestorey as on north side. C13 south porch with angle buttresses and pointed flat-chamfered entrance with C19 double doors with balusters. C14 south transept with small angle buttresses. Decorated 3-light south window with trefoil-headed lights, trefoils and dagger tracery. Hollow- moulded, stone-mullioned trefoil-headed light with carved spandrels in left-hand wall, similar 2-light window in right-hand wall. Moulded capping to nave parapet, stepped gable end coping to nave and south chapel with cross finials. Interior inside porch; flat-chamfered stone bench seats, C20 plank door within fine C12 round-headed surround with 3 orders of chevron, one enriched with flowers and a hoodmould with daisies ending in beast-head stops, two jamb shafts with carved and scalloped capitals. Scraped interior. Blocked round headed C12 north door opposite. Pointed west tower arch of 3 orders with restored or rebuilt C12 piers comprising 3 engaged columns. South and east tower arches with double chamfered arches. Two blocked pointed windows visible in nave north wall above mutilated string, one similar opening visible in south wall. Blocked flat-chamfered doorway to former rood screen upper left of chancel arch. Blocked doorway with shouldered surround to former tower stairs at north- west corner of tower. C12 chevron ornament reused to form rere- arch, trefoil-headed lancet left of altar within chancel. Five- bay roof to nave with C19 roof trusses comprising tie beam with brattishing and 4 petal flower decoration, braced from below from foliate stone corbels. King post from centre of tie beam. C19-C2a roof to chancel with multiple collar beam trusses with curving arch-like bracing. Cl9-C20 scissor-braced roof to south chapel. Restored C14 niche, probably an Easter sepulchre within south wall of nave with pierced cusping to opening, ballflower ornament and pinnacles either side, crocketted gable and engaged finial. Headstone, removed from churchyard within recess to 'HONEST JHON STOCKWELL WHO DIED OF THE PLAGUE, 1665'. Small defaced C15 piscina with credence shelf left, indicating former presence of nave altar. Defaced piscina with pointed arched recess in south chapel. Recess to hold small lead cistern with hole to draw water in north wall of chancel left of altar. C19 coloured mosaic frieze under east window. Furniture and fittings; octagonal font (probably post Reformation) inside south door. C19 stone pulpit with blind cinquefoil-headed panels at north-west corner of nave. C19 pews. Monuments: fine monument to Sir John Howe of Cassey Compton (q.v.) and his wife by Edward Marshall in south wall of nave towards west end; marble with 3 painted heraldic shields at top, 2-bay niche containing half-length figures of Sir John and his wife flanked by Corinthian columns. Effigies of 5 sons and 3 daughters kneeling in prayer below. Inscription plaque below. Stone monument to Gilbert Osborne, Rector of Withington, died 1656; limestone, formerly with highlights in gold and black, single female figures either side of inscription plaque, segmental pediment above with mourning figures either side of heraldic shield. Putti either side of urn at bottom. Monuments within tower; monument to Gilbert Osborne, died 1646. Limestone with scrollwork around tablet and heraldic shield at top. Simple limestone monument to Thomas Musto, died 1684. Brass plaque to Elizabeth Thornburgh, died 1627 at south-west corner. Four C19 marble monuments. C15 stone effigy of priest in full vestments on south side of chancel. C19 stained glass in east window and in south chapel. Fragments of C15 coloured glass in nave west window. (David Verey, The Buildings of England: The Cotswolds, (1979).
Listing NGR: SP0311415623
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire The Cotswolds, (1979)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing