PARISH CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1303002

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1961

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST PAUL, KEWSTOKE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303002 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 00:33:33.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST PAUL, KEWSTOKE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Kewstoke

National Grid Reference: ST 33495 63380

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KEWSTOKE C.P. KEWSTOKE ROAD ST 36 SW

3/2 Parish Church of St. Paul 9.2.61

- I

Parish Church. C12, C13, C15 late C19 restoration including chancel rebuilding, C20 vestry. Rubble, part rough rendered, freestone dressings, nave roof is leaded, chancel has concrete tiles. West tower, nave south porch, south chapel, chancel and vestry. Tower, two stages, rendered, diagonal buttresses with set- backs rise through parapet as corner pinnacles. Polygonal stair turret at south east corner rises to pyramidal cap. First stage has two 2-light perpendicular west window under plain drip mould. Similar but smaller window with carved stops to south. Second stage has one 2-light perpendicular window under drip mould with carved stops per side; all louvres except west which is blank. Quatrefoil pierced parapet, gargoyles at corner. Nave, 3 bays with clerestorey but no aisles. North elevation is rendered, 3 windows; 2 below are 2-light with curvilinear tracery, the third is plain square-headed 2-light under drip mould; there is a plain door in a cusped arched opening. Clerestorey to north and south has three 2-light perpendicular windows under plain parapet. South porch and adjoining south chapel, single storey; porch has heavily moulded doorway and parapet as tower which strangely abuts the mullion of a clerestorey window; chapel has a 3-light lancet window and battlemented parapet. Within porch is C12 south doorway, spiral fluted shafts with scalloped capitols in plain rebates under impost; inner arch has a double zigzag, the outer has a crenellated frieze under billets and zigzags. Door from porch to chapel has a small mutilated single lancet over. Chancel, rebuilt in 1886 with very steep pitch which brings chancel arch within the building, has two 2-light decorated east window and a small quatrefoil window above; to south are 2 plain 2-light perpendicular windows with priest's door between (now shorn of its porch). Vestry added in 1907 has steep pitch and a large 3-light north window. Interior has strongly moulded chancel and tower arches and cusped rear-arches to 2 ground floor north windows. Rood stair has a steep ogee curved doorway under a drip mould surmounted by a grotesque head corbel and a plain door above. Timber rood screen of 1938 does not sit on corbel. There is a similar screen in the rebated and chamfered arch to south chapel; 3-light lancet has heraldic glass painted by W.R. Eginton, c.1825. Fine perpendicular stone pulpit with paired decorated blank arches surmounted by ornate frieze. C14 circular font of pier and capital form. Oak plank south door. Large churchwardens arms of 1831 painted by T. Penny of Bristol. Sources: Pevsner, Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol. Rev. J.H.H. Doorbar, Kewstoke Church,and Village Guide (undated).

Listing NGR: ST3349663383

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 33298

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doorbar, Reverend J H H, Kewstoke Church and Village Guide
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

End of official listing