CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1303010
Date first listed:
05-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, B3046

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303010 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 18:57:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, B3046

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
Parish:
Cheriton
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
SU 58193 28474

Details

SU 5828 CHERITON B3046 (West side)

11/13 CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL 5.12.55

GV I Parish Church. C13, C15 additions, repaired after fire 1744, restored C19 and C20. Rubble flint with stone and C18 brick dressings, old plain tile roof. Built on mound and chancel built above steep slope, on crypt. C13 church of cancel, nave with N and S aisles with outshot roof, with chancel extended C15, tower, porch and aisle walls rebuilt 1744. Chancel's added bay has diagonal buttresses and E buttress to crypt, with brick buttress on NE corner. Restored C15 4-light square headed E window, and side walls a 2-light transomed window, with labels with head stops, and cinquefoiled lights except in S window below transom are shouldered heads. Original chancel has pointed S door, single lancet beside it and on both walls a reworked C13 2-light lancet. In NW corner C19 chimney and brick boilerhouse. W ends of aisles have C15 squareheaded 2-light windows. Aisles have 2 early C20 3-light Tudor style with labels with dated stops and heraldic stained glass. Between on S gabled porch with C18 brick sides but reset stone end with buttresses C13 arch with moulded capitals and either side a triangular panel of elaborately carved C14 stonework. N door opposite in C18 segmental headed opening, blocked inside. W aisle ends have C18 2-light timber leaded windows. C18 tower on brick plinth has C18 S door and on W C18 2-light timber window; with single light above surrounded by 4 wrought iron tie plates and large rectangular bell openings. Inside chancel C19 rear arches to all windows except SW lancet and door. To E of door, C13 trefoiled piscina with shelf. On S wall cartouche 1785 to Anne Ferrers, 1st wife and tablets 1825 to Edmund Ferrers and 2nd wife and 1845 to Elisa Ann Hunt. Under altar rare survival of C14 Flemish tiles. Pointed C13 chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders with nook shafts. Nave has C13, but recut 3 bay arcades with round piers on bases with spurs and above abaci with arches of 2 chamfered orders dying into vertical cylinders. Tower arch similar but with string at springing and walled up with small C18 door inserted. S door C18 segmental headed and N door walled up with reused stones stones included one inscribed with a medieval style cross. Stone pulpit and font and other furnishings all C19. VCH; 1908; Vol 3; p313. 'Buildings of England'; N Pevsner; Penguin; 1966; p 164.

Listing NGR: SP6136627611

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
145389
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1908), 313
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 164

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/03360/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter MacLeod. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].