Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1303085

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1954

Statutory Address: PRESTON COURT


Ordnance survey map of PRESTON COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303085 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2019 at 11:59:30.


Statutory Address: PRESTON COURT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean (District Authority)

Parish: Dymock

National Grid Reference: SO 67946 34583


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



4/97 Preston Court



Large country house. Late C16 or very early C17, altered early C18, early Cl9, mid C20. Brick-nogged or rendered panel timber framing on stone plinth; right return painted Flemish bond brickwork, tiled roof, stone slates to rear. Six-bay front, one room deep, large 'U' plan, 3-storeys. Windows mullion and transom unless stated otherwise. Front elevation: framing to left of porch 2 panels high ground floor, 3 first, latter square. Porch close studded, 2 panels high per floor: to right heavy main posts, heavy studs adjoining posts with downward braces to bressumer; first floor, with thin close studding between to both floors, 2 panels high. Second floor larger panels below windows, close studding between windows to right and to gables. Ground floor: on left 6-light, reserved cyma chamfer, window; main post in angle against porch, rising 2 floors. Porch projects from third bay: wide flat-headed opening, ovolo moulding: pilaster each side with consoles supporting jetty to front only, double ovolo to jetty beam, ball pendants from corner posts at ends. To right 6-light and 4-light windows, mid C20 framing beneath: projecting end to brick return on right. First floor: 5-light reserved cyma chamfer window, with console each side supporting jetty over. Three-light window in porch gable, carved bargeboards, timber finial to apex. To right original 5-light window on left, 4-light on right, end to brick return on right: consoles to support shallow jetty above. Second floor: 6 gables, each with 4-light casement window beneath, carved bargeboards, timber finial to apex. Left 2 gables narrower than those to right: wider studs, tie beam only; on right thinner studs, collar and tie beam. Right return: brick: four 2-light windows per floor, elliptical brick arches over except to second floor, flat brick heads. Half-glazed door between first and second windows from left on ground floor, plain timber pilasters, semi- circular head with timber pediment over. Plain brick string course to each floor; dentil eaves course. Chimney on ridge right of centre, six diamond-set brick flues, with brick bridging between tops. Left return: timber framed. Close studded, 2-panel high ground floor, 3-panel between windows first floor, 2 square panels high to front second floor. Ground floor, 3-light window on right, mid C20 enlargement of earlier, blocked opening. Four-light to left, small 2-light, 3-light at left end: weatherboard to first floor bressumer. Above, on right, blocked 4-light casement window: 4-light casement to left, 2 slit windows between studs, 2-light window on left, probably originally 3, but right-hand light blocked. Slight jetty to second floor, separate head and bressumer, latter with ovolo moulding to bottom edge. Eaves to front gable on right; straight braces to collar/wallplate from post, with small gable over, left slope extended down to just above floor level. Further eaves: gabled wall on left, braces to tie beam, 3-light casement but 2 blocked since before 1928: 'V' struts above collar. To right brick chimney base, 6 diamond-set brick flues, with bridging between caps; as base set lower down, rear flues rise out of roof slope. In rear courtyard, square projection for stairs on right, lean-to roof on adjoining sides. Large external stone chimney base on left, 3 brick flues as other chimneys. Interior: main wall on left behind porch, with separate open main frame against it in left room for full height of building. Heavy chamfer to main ceiling beams. Newel stair. Stone arch to fireplace, left front room, wide fireplace behind, with chamfered elliptical stone lintel. Dust-ledge panelling in small panels front right room, strapwork frieze over dentils, moulded cornice. Fluted Ionic pilasters to fireplace, 2 semi-circular headed panels over, flanked terms: 6-panel door. Firs floor chamfered flat stone lintel to fireplaces left and centre front. Second floor hanging cheese rack in centre front: timber crane now loose in left front room, original location not clear. Two pairs butt purlins to rear slope front, square ridge. Built in 2 stages, left wing and 2 bays front separately framed from right-hand part. Flues rising out of roof slope on left suggest a change of plan, possibly during construction. Front elevation was completely rendered over at some stage, certainly by late C18 or early C19: this render removed after 1928 when sash window on ground floor right replaced to match others in facade. Forms group with church (q.v.) (Photographs at N.M.R., 1928; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970)

Listing NGR: SO6794634583


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 125915

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

End of official listing