CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1303221
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303221 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 09:41:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Stroud (District Authority)
Parish:
Standish
National Grid Reference:
SO 80074 08415

Details

STANDISH STANDISH VILLAGE SO 80 NW 7/248 Church of St. Nicholas 10.1.55 GV I Anglican parish church. Early C14, restored c1867-9 by J.P. St Aubyn. Coursed dressed stone on chamfered plinth, stone slate roof with coped verges and cross finials. West tower, aisleless nave with north and south porches, chancel with C20 octagonal vestry to south. Narrow tower with stepped diagonal buttresses up to first string course above level of nave roof, single trefoil belfry lights on upper stage and tall spire with roll mouldings to edges, 4 gablets at base, weathercock. Narrow slit stair lights to each face. Simple north and south porches with stepped diagonal buttresses. North porch has double chamfered outer pointed arch, stone seats and single chamfered inner arch. Nave of 3 bays, chancel of 2, all windows 2-light Decorated ogee trefoils with quatrefoil over, 5-light east window with reticulated intersecting tracery. South wall has projection marking rood stair. Interior: plaster removed in C19 restoration and chancel re- roofed. Nave roof panelled with 180 carved wooden bosses, and with 2 moulded tie beams with plain crown posts. Rood loft stair opening on south wall, and small depressed ogee piscina opposite on north wall. Very large chamfered chancel arch. Box pews of 1764 by Anthony Keck, slightly lowered in C19 restoration. Painted stone classical wall monument on south wall of nave to Sir Henry Winston, died 1609, ancestor of Sir Winston Churchill. (David Verey, Buildings of England - Gloucestershire: the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1980; VCH, Gloucestershire, Vol X 1972)

Listing NGR: SO8007908416

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
132507
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1972)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/05563/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Marion Teal. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].