CONVENT OF ST CLOTILDE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1303277

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1985

Statutory Address: CONVENT OF ST CLOTILDE, A361

Map

Ordnance survey map of CONVENT OF ST CLOTILDE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303277 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2018 at 17:39:49.

Location

Statutory Address: CONVENT OF ST CLOTILDE, A361

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Lechlade

National Grid Reference: SU 21748 99987

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 29 NW LECHLADE A361 (off east side)

10/124 Convent of St. Clotilde

II

Formerly Lechlade Manor, a large country house, now part of a convent school. 1872-3 by J.L. Pearson. Coursed and dressed stone or ashlar on plinth, tile roof, scattered stone stacks with linked ashlar flues. Jacobean style. Large squarish block, 3 storeys or 2 with attic. Main front to south has 3 Dutch gables, end 2 projecting forward with curved outline and canted 2-storey bays with 6-light mullion and transoms, 2 transoms on ground floor. Central smaller bay recessed with more pointed outline and 2-storey bowed bay, also mullion and transoms. Mullion windows to each gable. Sill band at ground floor and 2 string courses above, one between each floor. Upper sections of windows all in decorative leading. Similar fenestration to all facades. Rainwater heads all with date 1873 and initials GM. Main entrance on north side with projecting square porch tower of 3 storeys with iioat of arms and strapwork at the top. Up 7 stone steps with decorative small base piers and arcaded balustrade to open arcaded ground floor of porch with pilasters and keystone. First floor mullion and transom bay has arcaded apron in same style as balustrade of steps. Interior virtually intact on ground floor with panelled library, original stone fireplaces, mostly plain, several fine Jacobean- style plaster ceilings, especially in drawing room (now partitioned in 2), and fine wooden staircase with carved banisters. Upstairs rooms have been mostly subdivided. Main house intact, with 2- storey servants wing to north west. Many new buildings in complex not of special interest.

Listing NGR: SU2174899987

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 128969

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing