CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1303395

Date first listed: 06-Apr-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303395 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 20:57:44.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Midgham

National Grid Reference: SU 55602 67179

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MIDGHAM CHURCH HILL (east side) SU 56NE 3/3 Church Of St.Matthew 6.4.67

- II

Church. 1869. John Johnson in a Neo-Gothic style. Flint with stone dressings, diagonal buttresses, parapetted gables with footstones, kneelers and copings, tiled roofs and stone spire. Rich Decorated style with hood moulds throughout. South-west tower and spire, nave, south aisle, south porch, north chapel, north vestry and chancel. Tower: 2 stages with clasping buttresses to first stage and newel turret to first stage at north-west corner. 2-light ogee headed bell chamber openings on all faces, battlemented corbelled parapet, and broach spire with lucarnes on cardinal faces and carved figures above broaches. Gabled south porch, moulded and shafted doorway, 2 cusped lights to each side and 2 wooden gates with quatrefoil panels. South aisle:moulded south doorway, three 2-light windows to right, and doorway to east with Caernarvon arched head. East end with rose window, ballflower ornament on verge and moulded chimney at gable end. Chancel: cusped lancet to south, 3-light east window with curvilinear tracery. Vestry: east end with rose window of 3 trefoiled lights, ballflower ornament on verge and moulded chimney on gable end; north side with 2-light Caernarvon arched window and ogee arched doorway with carved finial. North chapel of 2 bays with 2-light windows; west end with door, rose window and small quatrefoil opening in gable above. Nave: north side of 3 bays with 2-light windows; west end with large 4-light window with geometrical tracery, and small quatrefoil in gable above. Interior: 5 bay south aisle arcade, polished granite piers with moulded capitals and bases; large pier to west to support tower. Arch braced nave roof on short wall shafts with foliated capitals and resting on corbelled heads. 2 bay north arcade and arch in chapel to east. Chancel arch of 2 orders with ballflower ornament, resting on short hexagonal wall shafts on corbelled heads. 3 bay arcaded chancel wall, on short granite shafts with angel corbels. 2-light opening to north with central granite shaft, cusped arches and quatrefoil panel in tympanum above. Corresponding blank arch to south. Shafted east window. All fittings C19; including font;stone pulpit and wooden lectern. V.C.H. Vo1.3. p.325. B.O.E.Berkshire p.178.

Listing NGR: SU5560267179

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 39584

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 325
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 178

End of official listing