- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- BROCKHAMPTON PARK
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303429 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 03:38:30.
- Statutory Address:
- BROCKHAMPTON PARK
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cotswold (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 03310 22518
SP 02 SW SEVENHAMPTON BROCKHAMPTON
2/53 Brockhampton Park 23.1.52 GV II
Former country house now divided into flats. Dated and initialled P.P. 1641 on rainwater heads on right-hand wall of early core. Built by Paul Pert, 1639-1642. Substantial additions and alterations to house C19 and early C20. Ashlar, stone slate and concrete tile roof, stone stacks. Early core now forms south-west corner of house, the central and right-hand gables being those shown in Kip's engraving of c1710, two gables added left of early core in same style c1835 (only one now visible). Main body extended back mid-late C19, rear of wing left of main body dated 1868 on drainpipe brackets, front of same wing, incorporating tower, dated and initialled F.R. 1908, built by Col. Fairfax Rhodes. No 22 far left, probably early C18 (q.v. Kip's engraving). Main body; 2½ storeys with triple gabled entrance front. Upper floor lit by 3-light hollow-moulded stone-mullioned casements with dripmoulds. Two and 3-light casements with 'Gothic' glazing to ground and first floor windows. Dripmould over ground floor windows, dripmould over first floor windows now interrupted by later fenestration. Central C19 part-glazed doors within central projecting porch with 'Tudor'-arched openings on each side, frieze of blind quatrefoils, embattlemented parapet with octagonal turrets at each corner. Three storey extension of 1908 incorporating 3 storey tower left; 1, 3 and 4-light stone-mullioned casements with transoms and 'Tudor'-arched heads to each light. Wing at rear of main body in similar style with 3 heraldic shields on gables. Several fine rainwater heads; barley-twist downpipe with beast's head on rainwater head on south wall, 3 ornate rainwater heads with scallop shell motifs and lion's head gargoyles on east front. Roof; octagonal lantern of c1835 left of early core, saddleback coping, some castellations to 1908 extension. Numerous tall chimneys with skirtings and moulded cappings and segmental stone shaft divisions at top. Interior: Entrance Hall; fine C19 Arts and Crafts Style moulded plaster ceiling with deep frieze of inter-twined Dog Roses, circular roundels each depicting a single plant set in ceiling within geometric border with inter-twined foliate motif. Inner Hall, lit by lantern (now sealed off) with C19 stained glass, decorated moulded square panels around lantern opening. Section of moulded plaster-work with foliate border left of stairs, off outer hall. C19, C17 style staircase with splat balusters forming gallery on one side of inner hall. Barrel vaulted cellar containing well, reputed to lie under early core. Flat 3 (within mid C19 extension at rear of main body); highly ornate, deeply moulded ceiling with eclectic decorative motifs; Corinthian-style cornice, ribs joining main geometric motifs on ceiling, decorated with vine and acorn motifs. Adam-style fireplace. Similar ceilings and fireplaces in other rooms. History; house passed from Pert family to the Dodwells and was inherited in 1806 by three sisters, Judith and Patience Timbrell and Rebecca Lightbourne, it then passed to William Morris, and thence to his son Walter Lawrence. In 1832 the house passed to the Craven family in whose family it remained until the 1890s. In 1897 it was owned by Major Edward Green de Freville and from 1906-1931 by Col. Fairfax Rhodes and his wife. (Print of original house in Atkyn's History of Gloucestershire.)
Listing NGR: SP0331022518
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Atkyn, R, The Ancient and Present State of Gloucestershire, (1712)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing