CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1303513
Date first listed:
23-Oct-1953
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, ROTHBURY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303513 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 16:25:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, ROTHBURY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Longframlington
National Grid Reference:
NU 13094 01007

Details

LONGFRAMLINGTON ROTHBURY ROAD NU 10 SW (North side) Longframlington Village 5/161 Church of St. Mary 23/10/53 GV I

Parish church. c.ll9O perhaps incorporating earlier fabric; minor later medieval alterations; south porch dated 1749 but re-using medieval arch, west buttress dated 1740, C18 bellcote. Chancel partly rebuilt 1882 by John Wardle of Newcastle. Nave restored and vestry added 1896 by Hicks and Charlewood. Squared stone of differing periods, except for tooled stone with tooled-and- margined dressings in C19 parts; graduated Lakeland slate roofs except for Welsh slates on vestry. Aisleless nave with south porch, chancel with north vestry.

West end has chamfered plinth and broad shallow central pilaster buttress (probably blocking earlier doorway) flanked by renewed round-headed loops. Gable bellcote has twin pointed openings above band, flat top with corner finials and square central turret with gable opening in each face and pyramidal cap carrying weathercock. South wall of nave shows 2 renewed round-headed windows to east of large porch with tall double-chamfered arch on plain square jambs and coped gable with C19 cross finial; stone benches and C19 scissor-braced roof with carved wall-plate. Boarded double doors in C12 doorway of 3 square orders, with waterleaf capitals of outer orders surviving; shafts missing. Bearded head corbel set in wall above. North wall shows two 2-light windows, formerly sashes (one dated 1792) remodelled with C14-style tracery in late C19. Gables have moulded pitched coping; cross finial on east.

Lower chancel 1882 except for west part of south wall, with restored round- headed window, and plain north wall. Square-headed priest's door and second round-headed window on south and 3 stepped similar windows on east end. Chamfered eaves cornice and flat-coped east gable on moulded kneelers, carrying wheel cross finial. Vestry has C14 two-light north window re-set from south wall of chancel.

Interior: Rear arches of south and possibly west windows are original C12 work. Round chancel arch of 2 square orders on 3 detached shafts with waterleaf capitals and holdwater bases. Double-chamfered segmental-pointed arch to vestry/organ chamber. C19 roofs; arch-braced collar-beam trusses, with upper king posts in nave, on moulded stone corbels. Chancel roof wood barrelled and panelled.

Earlier C19 panelled dado, with brattished top rail, in nave. Small octagonal font of uncertain date on C19 stepped base; 1912 carved font cover.



Listing NGR: NU1309201006

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
236830
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Jan 2005
Reference: IOE01/13338/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gordon Dixon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].