Church of St. Mary

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1303517
Date first listed:
14-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
Church of St. Mary, Beenham, Reading

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St. Mary
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303517.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 18:04:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St. Mary, Beenham, Reading

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Beenham
National Grid Reference:
SU 59080 68480

Details

SU 56NE 3/39

BEENHAM Church of St. Mary

14.4.67

GV II*

Church. Tower of 1794, nave and aisles of 1859, and chancel of 1871. Henry Woodyer. Brick tower with Bath stone dressings, rest of flint with Bath stone dressings, and tiled roof, catslide over nave and aisles. Late C13 style. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, chancel and vestry.

Tower: three stages with plinth, string courses, cornice, coped parapet and four corner obelisks, that to south-west with weathervane. Large mid C19 west window of three lights, and small early C19 arched window to north; round arched louvred bell chamber openings on all faces, and clock to east.

South aisle: three square headed windows, two with three cusped lights and one with four cusped lights; two-light window to west and three-light window to east, both with hood moulds.

South porch with chamfered arch, hood mould, IHS carved in coped parapetted gable, and three cusped lights, on each side.

North aisle: three square headed windows, one with four cusped lights and two with five cusped lights; two-light window to west with hood mould.

Chancel: three two-light windows to south; clasping buttresses and three-light window with geometrical tracery and hood mould to east.

Vestry: cusped lancet to east, door, and three stepped lancets under gable to north.

Interior: five bay north and south aisle arcades with round piers, moulded bases and capitals, moulded arches and hood moulds with carved stops. Arch braced nave roof. Simple moulded chancel arch without capitals, hood mould has stops carved as wheat and leaves. Painted decoration in chancel and aisles by Miss Sharp of Ufton Court, including neo-Quattrocento Last Supper.

All fittings C19 including font, eagle lectern, pulpit and reredos. Many wall tablets, including, in tower, those to Berrington, with Cherubs and two Ionic pilasters supporting cornice; John Berrington of 1826, with fluted pilasters, cornice and coat of arms; Hopson; and in nave to Thomas Stackhouse with triangular pediment and open book above.

Listing NGR: SU5908068480

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
39542
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 279
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 85
Websites
British Geological Survey, Strategic Stone Study, accessed 5 February 2020 from https://www.bgs.ac.uk/mineralsuk/buildingStones/StrategicStoneStudy/EH_atlases.html

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06342/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Swynford-Lain. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].