THE GLEBE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1303522

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1987

Statutory Address: THE GLEBE HOUSE, A433

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GLEBE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303522 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 21:24:30.

Location

Statutory Address: THE GLEBE HOUSE, A433

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Bibury

National Grid Reference: SP 11687 06695

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIBURY A433, Bibury Village SP 1006-1106 (north side) 11/30 The Glebe House II Large detached former vicarage, now house. c1844; later C19 additions. Ashlar limestone; ashlar chimneys; Welsh slate roof. Two-storey, L-plan; long 2-storey wing on west side with 2-storey terminal block. Tudor Gothic style. East front: symmetrical with 3-window fenestration, outer in form of 2-storey rectangular mullioned and transomed bay windows with Tudor arched lights, set below 2 gables with octagonal finials. Central projecting 2-storey porch with moulded Tudor archway having hoodmould; mullioned and transomed casement above. Continuous moulded bands. Carved quatrefoil panel with shield motif to each gable. South side: 3- window fenestration, all mullioned and transomed with Tudor arched lights. Two-storey rectangular bay window to left with gable above. West side: gable end to right with mullioned and transomed fenestration; similar stair window below gable to recessed centre. Left gable has cluster of 3 octagonal moulded chimney shafts; long wing attached below with 2-light mullioned casements. Two-light mullioned casements to terminal block and 3 octagonal chimney shafts to south parapet gabled end. Interior: stone cantilevered open well staircase in stair hall. Moulded 4-centred archway divides stair from outer hall. This large vicarage, probably built by Lord Sherborne, may have been designed by Anthony Salvin who had been carrying out work at Sherborne Park since 1841. There are stylistic similarities with Scotney Castle in Kent, also by Salvin. (A.R. Jurica, 'Bibury' in V.C.H. Glos, vii, 1981, pp 21-44)

Listing NGR: SP1168506696

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 127276

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1981), 21-44

End of official listing