CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1303618
Date first listed: 25-Mar-1955
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MARLOW ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303618 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2019 at 13:57:42.
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MARLOW ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Windsor and Maidenhead (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: SU 84809 85407
SU 8485-8585 BISHAM MARLOW ROAD
(west side, off)
16/1 Church of All Saints 25.3.55 G.V. II*
Parish church. Dates from mid C12, of which only the tower remains. Restored by Benjamin Ferrey 1849. North aisle and chancel extended eastwards 1877. Minor restorations to tower in 1903 and 1905. Part chalk with stone dressings, part flint with stone dressings. Tile gabled roofs, separate over nave and aisles. 3-bay nave, aisled; with west tower, south porch, chancel and south chapel. Tower: 3 stages divided by chamfered string courses. The bottom stage projects in front of the walls above. The west wall has a C19 doorway, and above this a small C12 round-headed window, with widely splayed inner jambs, but restored externally. There is a similar window at the same level on the north wall, but unrestored with chamfered orders. The ringing stage is lighted from the north, south and west by single C19 pointed lights. The bell chamber has original coupled round-headed lights on all 4 sides, with crudely carved chevron ornament, and labels formed by a string course running round the walls at the arch springing level. Above this is a brick, embattled parapet, and a pyramidal tile roof. The remaining parts of the church have a projecting plinth, moulded cill string course and 2-stage buttresses. All windows are C19, except the late C16 'Hoby' window in the east wall of the south chapel. Nave: north aisle: 6 bays, 3 buttresses, and one diagonal buttress at each end. On the left end bay a lancet, in the second bay a 3-light window with flowing tracery in a pedimented projection dated 1878 with a stone cross on apex, and relieving arch near ground level, with inscription above 'Vault of the Williams Family of Temple House, Berkshire'. 3 bays to the right of this have a 2-light cusped, traceried window, and the end bay a 2-light similar window with a C19 door and pointed arch under. Nave, south aisle: 5 bays, 4 buttresses and one diagonal buttress at each end. On left end bay a small C19 pointed arched doorway; a gabled entrance porch in the second bay. One lancet in bay to right of porch, and one 2-light cusped traceried window in the next bay. A sundial at high level in the second bay from the right end. Nave and aisle and south chapel, east end: 3 gables, one bay each, with stone crosses at apex, the centre chancel projecting with a 3-light window with reticulated tracery. A similar window on the north aisle and on the south aisle, the 'Hoby' window of 6-lights with 3-centred heads; above which is a C19 trefoiled window. Interior: Nave with C19 arch braced collar roof. 4 bay north and south aisles with similar roofs. 2 bay, C19 arcades in the style of the C14, open into the north aisle and south chapel. Both nave arcades are 3 bays, the north similar to that of the chancel. Semicircular tower arch of 2 moulded orders. In the east wall of the south chapel is the early C17 Hoby window of 6-lights with 2 shields in each, and an inscription showing that it was put up in 1609 in memory of Sir Philip and Sir Thomas Hoby. Monuments: A fine C16 monument against the south wall of the chapel, erected by Dame Elizabeth Hoby, in memory of her brothers, comprising an alabaster altar tomb, built into the wall in an arched recess, with the recumbent figures of the 2 brothers; small Doric pilasters support an entablature and divide each end of the tomb into 2 bays and the front into 3. On the right of this, a C16 coloured marble monument to the memory of Elizabath Lady Hoby. In the centre, under a canopy formed by an entablature supported at either end of Corinthian columns, and inclosing a semicircular arched recess, are the kneeling figures of Lady Hoby and her children; the whole stands > upon a panelled plinth. In the centre of the chapel, is a marble monument to Margaret Cary, wife of Sir Edward Hoby, in 3 stages, the lower 2 forming a base from which rises an obelisk between 4 swans. In the north east corner of the north chancel aisle is an early C16 tomb of Purbeck marble, to the memory of Mrs. Wheatley, daughter of Mr. Thomas Williams, of Temple House, Berks. d.1850.
VCH. Vol III p.149 et seq. B.O.E. (Berkshire) p.88 & 89. C.L. June 1905, p.911-914, and April, p.345 & 346.
Listing NGR: SU8480985407
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 40794
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 88-89
'Country Life' in April, (1905), 345-346
'Country Life' in June, (1905), 911-914
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing