HENRY LUCAS HOSPITAL AND ATTACHED WATER PUMPS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1303641

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Jan-2002

Statutory Address: HENRY LUCAS HOSPITAL AND ATTACHED WATER PUMPS

Map

Ordnance survey map of HENRY LUCAS HOSPITAL AND ATTACHED WATER PUMPS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303641 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 16:27:42.

Location

Statutory Address: HENRY LUCAS HOSPITAL AND ATTACHED WATER PUMPS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wokingham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Wokingham

National Grid Reference: SU8125167394

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOKINGHAM 1886/10/35 CHAPEL GREEN 12-NOV-51 HENRY LUCAS HOSPITAL AND ATTACHED WATER PUMPS (Formerly listed as: CHAPEL GREEN LUCAS ALMSHOUSE) (Formerly listed as: CHAPEL GREEN LUCAS HOSPITAL)

GV I



Almshouses and attached water pumps. Founded 1663 by Henry Lucas, building completed 1667. Brick, rusticated brick quoins; hipped old tile roofs. PLAN: Symmetrical U-plan group with pavilions at ends of the projecting wings, the right hand being the Chapel, the left hand the former Hall. The almshouses are arranged like an Oxford College around individual staircases which each have individual access from the courtyard. 2 storeys and attics. Six tall C17 chimneys with clay pots on rear roof slope of main wing, and single similar stacks to each pavilion. String at first floor level. Bold moulded and modillioned cornices. Windows are all 2- and 3-light wooden casement windows with leaded glazing; 2 flat roof dormers in wings, and in each pavilion. The centre part 9 bays wide, with 3 centre bays projecting slightly. The cornice is carried across central part and round a broad pediment which has a boldly carved stone cartouche of arms supported by a cornucopia in the tympanum. Above the pediment is a hexagonal wood bell turret with inverted curved lead roof and wrought iron weathervane, containing a brass bell dated 1667. 10 panel double central doors in stone architrave, and stone date and inscription panel over, with small floral side enrichment. 2 secondary doors in flanking central projection; with 2 old water pumps adjoining, in wooden boxes, with iron crank handle and spout and floral decoration. Side wings similar, with 2 large, arched windows to pavilions in moulded brick surrounds set in rectangular brick panels. Entrance doors to Chapel and Hall, with circular windows over, on each return face of wings. Entrance forecourt enclosed between pavilions is linked by brick walls with weathered coping and central pair of rusticated brick gate piers with moulded stone caps and balls. Wooden gates with carved upper part and side panels and heavy toprail with central ball and inverted side scrolls. INTERIOR. Chapel has contemporary pews with brass candlesticks, panelling, pulpit, altar-rail and wooden chancel arch flanked by Corinthian pilasters. Chapel and former Common Room both have C17 armorial stained glass. Former Common Room also has wooden dado panelling. Many original C17 wooden doors survive and 5 original wooden staircases with turned balusters also survive HISTORY: The Henry Lucas Hospital was built under the will of Henry Lucas, MP for Cambridge University, dated 1663, for "the erection and endowment of an almshouse for the relief of old men and for the upkeep of a Master to be their Chaplain". On the death of Henry Lucas's executors, in 1675, the Drapers Company inherited the Trusteeship of the hospital. The Charity Commissioner sold the property in March 2001. It has been suggested that Sir Christopher Wren may have been the architect of this building. Henry Lucas was professionally associated with Wren, his father Christopher Wren and his Uncle Matthew Wren in the 1640s but no direct documentary evidence has yet been discovered which directly links Wren's name with the design or construction of this building. V.C.H. vol,lll p.226. B.O.E. (Berkshire) p.310.



Listing NGR: SU8122967391

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 41654

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 226
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 310

End of official listing