PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1303812

Date first listed: 20-Nov-1959

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303812 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 16:32:14.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Purbeck (District Authority)

Parish: Church Knowle

National Grid Reference: SY 94078 81938

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHURCH KNOWLE CHURCH KNOWLE VILLAGE SY 9481 13/34 Parish Church of Saint Peter - 20.11.59 II* Anglican Parish Church. C13 origin, of cruciform plan. Tower and porch added in C14, upper part of tower rebuilt in C18, north aisle added c.1833. Rubble stone walls, stone slate roofs with coped gables. Nave, chancel, north and south transepts, north aisle, west tower, south porch. Tower, unbuttressed, of 3 stages, has pyramidal stone-slated cap. Plain rectangular windows in each stage, with stone louvres in upper stages. Doorway in north wall. Date Stone "1741, I C and E C, Churchwardens" on south wall. In west wall, reset stone with inscription (see also Church Farm House). South porch has plain 2-centred arched doorway. South transept has, in east and south walls, 2-light C13 windows with roundel over. South wall of nave has 2 plain lancet windows, deepened in early C19. South wall of chancel has priest's door. One C13 2-light window with quatrefoil over moulded. Also a C14 3-light square-headed window. East window of chancel, C13, as that in south wall. 2 similar windows in north wall. North wall of north transept has Cl3 window, matching those in south transept. North aisle wall has 2 paired lancet windows. Internally, aisle divided from nave by 2 timber columns supporting nave roof and gallery - this continued across west wall. Trusses of nave roof of tie beam and queen post form, c.1833. Chancel arch, C13 flanked by lower arches - originally, altar recesses. Traces of medieval floral painting. In chancel, C13 windows have rere-arches. Squints to transepts cut through window jambs. Piscina in south wall. South transept has piscina, and stone altar slab on C19 timber base. C18 monument on west wall. Broken stone coffin slabs on window cill. On east wall of north transept, monument of 1572 to John Clarel, - altar-tomb with canopy. Canopy crested, with enriched soffite. Tomb base with 4 quatrefoiled panels. Brasses - figures and coatsof arms - the latter coloured. Other fittings Cl9. RCHM Monument 1. (Dorset Vol II)



Listing NGR: SY9407881938

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 108947

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970)

End of official listing