THE MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1303922

Date first listed: 21-Oct-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Sep-1988

Statutory Address: THE MANOR HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303922 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 04:06:57.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MANOR HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Brinkburn

National Grid Reference: NZ 11573 98302

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRINKBURN BRINKBURN PRIORY NZ 19 NW 10/72 The Manor House (formerly listed as Brinkburn Priory 21.10.53 House) GV II*

Country House. C13 south range of Priory conventual buildings converted into house for Fenwick family in later C16, remodelled 1810 for Richard Hodgson; alterations and major extensions 1830-37 by John Dobson for William Hodgson Cadogan. Squared stone with cut dressings; Welsh slate roofs. Irregular plan; the surviving part of the 1810 house forms an L-plan wing at the east end of the Dobson section which consists of a grouping of 3 square or rectangular towers, with further west outbuildings around an irregular quadrangle. 1810 house Gothick style, 1830-37 parts castellated neo-Tudor. North (entrance) front in two main sections. 2-storey, 3-bay left part is 1810 house: plinth, moulded cornice and parapet. Centre bay shows tall 24- pane sash window with intersecting glazing bars under arched head; similar window now blocked to left; later 3-light transomed window with 2-light mullioned window above on right. Low-pitched hipped roof. 1830-37 right part, set forward, in 3 sections: 3-storey tower on left has central 2-storey projecting porch with tall Gothic arch under hoodmould, and taller turret set back to right. Set-back 2-storey, 2-bay centre and set further back 3-storey tower with blank shield in large panel below parapet, and corbelled- out oriel set diagonally at right end. Mullioned and mullioned-and-transomed windows, with small-paned sashes and casements, under hoodmoulds. Embattled parapets; tall stacks with dentilled cornices. To far right, at lower level, embattled yard wall with segmental-pointed carriage arch and small tower at right end.

3-bay left return shows central 3-window Gothick bow, with French windows, and 1st floor sill band below 16-pane sashes; all openings with intersecting glazing bars in heads. Similar 12-pane sashes to 1st floor of flanking bays.

South (river) front: 2-storey 1810 part has projecting right end bay with mid-C19 canted bay window. 1830-37 left part has 4-storey towers, the left with a corbelled-out 2nd-floor oriel, flanking a 3-storey centre.

Interior: 1810 part incorporates pre-C19 remains; inserted C16 barrel vault in cellar; north wall of conventual range, now internal, has C13 moulded segmental lavatory arch and blocked openings including C16 mullioned windows. Stair hall and large drawing room have plaster work of c.1830 with enriched cornices and ceiling borders; of this period are the panelled door architraves and reveals, and the iron staircase with patterned panel balusters on alternate treads, shaped tread ends, wreathed handrail and spiral curtail. Small south drawing room, with added bay of c.1860, has enriched cornice of this period and dado panelling. Similar detail in other rooms of 1810 part but 1830-37 extension gutted internally. Original fireplaces removed.

G. Fairclough, 'Brinkburn Priory, a structural analysis of the manor house', Archaeologia Aeliana, 5th series, VIII (1980) 142-152.



Listing NGR: NZ1157398302

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 236741

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Archaeologia Aeliana' in Archaeologia Aeliana, , Vol. 8, (1980), 142-152
'Archaeologia Aeliana' in Archaeologia Aeliana, , Vol. 8, (1980)

End of official listing