- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- RENDCOMB COLLEGE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303962 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 05:32:22.
- Statutory Address:
- RENDCOMB COLLEGE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cotswold (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
SP 00 NW RENDCOMB
1369/6/260 Redcomb College
Country house, formerly known as Rendcomb Park, now school, built by P.C. Hardwick, 1863-65 for Sir F.H. Goldsmid in the Italianate style, service wing altered C20. Ashlar; slate roof; ashlar stacks. Basically rectangular plan to house with service wing arranged around a courtyard at the north-west corner. Main body 3 storeys with some single-storey subsidiary rooms. Service wing: 2 storeys. Entrance (south) front: 3:3:tower:1-windowed with single-storey billiards room far right. Horizontal rustication and 4-pane sashes to the ground and first floors: canted bay far left with alternate plain and punched rustication; frieze with Greek key pattern and balustrade; frieze and cornice below the balustrade continued to right and left of the bay. Round-headed surrounds to the sash windows lighting the billiards room. Moulded architraves to the first floor windows which have alternate triangular and segmental-pediments; paired Ionic pilasters at intervals. Segmental-headed 2-pane sashes to the second floor with shouldered architraves and moulded keystones flanked by foliate scrollwork; short paired fluted pilasters flanking hanging flower motifs at intervals; moulded cornice between the ground and first floors; modillion cornice and balustrade above. Five-storey tower with rusticated quoins; porte cochere with Greek key pattern frieze and stone balustrade. Double part-glazed doorway with bay leaf surround to base of tower. French windows to roof of porch with tympanum with the Goldsmid monogram and foliate decoration; fenestration of second floor matches that of the house; third stage lit by three 2-pane sashes with frieze with Greek key pattern above. Three cross-mullioned windows to the upper stage, flanked by engaged Corinthian columns; tympanums with lunette motif and moulded keystones above each window. Symmetrical west front with central rectangular 2-storey bay, single bays either side with 2- pane sashes with triangular pediments at first floor level; 3- light 2-storey canted bays set slightly forward to the right and left; festoons over the first floor windows, fenestration of the second floor matches that of the south front. Double part-glazed doors either side of the rectangular bay within moulded architraves with foliate inner moulding; tall panels with foliate motifs either side of the doorway; smaller panels also with foliate decoration either side of the hall light; hood supported on moulded brackets above; festoon above hood. Symmetrical north front with fenestration matching that of the south front. Cast iron conservatory projects forwards to the left; small octagonal game larder to the east of the conservatory. Hipped roofs. Stacks with cappings designed to resemble triangular pediments; segmental stones divide the flues. The shafts of the stacks to the main body are decorated with paterae and palm-like motifs. Interior: octagonal hall containing a large marble statue of Saul with the inscription 'W. S.S. ROMA 1865.'; stained glass on two sides of the hall with ivy and oak leaf motifs incorporating monograms of F.H. Goldsmid and his wife. Red marble fireplace with the original grate. Grand cantilevered stone staircase with cast iron balustrading; stained glass (designed by Hardwick) lighting the staircase, illustrating Aesop's fables and incorporating the monograms of Francis Goldsmid and his wife (Lily), their coat of arms and motto 'CORDCORDIA ET SEDULITATE'; stair light with wrought iron decoration. Library: plastered. C17 style panelled ceiling; pink marble fireplace with mannerist style surround. Drawing Room; decorated in the style of Robert Adam with a decorative plastered ceiling; frieze; panelled walls with pilasters decorated with arabesque motifs; white marble fireplace with the original grate and splayed white inner surround with decoration in gold, outer white marble motif with foliate decoration and monogram; shuttered windows; moulded architraves with medallions at the top; stage now partially blocks the acccess to the music room. Music room and dining room now combined, with moulded plaster ceilings. Original doors with sunken panels and egg and dart mouldings and parquet floors with decorative margins throughout. Fireplace and panelling in billiards room now removed. (D. Verey, The Buildinqs of England: The Cotswolds, 1979; and illustrated Particulars and plans, Rendcomb Park 1913, Glos. Colln. RV.248.1)
Listing NGR: SP0172109853
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.