Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304095.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2021 at 03:49:19.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Dorset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SY 74122 84017



9/58 Poxwell House 26.1.56 I GV

Manor House in grounds. c.1600 east block with a north cross wing probable H plan intended by south cross wing never built. Early C17 addition in the angle at rear of house, and north cross wing extended to the west. C19 rebuilding in north west wing. 1934 house thoroughly restored and new roofs built, west wing extended further west. South wall of the main range has rebuilt. Portland ashlar and coursed rubble walls. Clay tile roofs with stone slates at eaves. C20 rebuilt stone stacks at south gable, at ridge right of centre, two on rear eaves, two on north gable ends, and on each of the north elevation gables. New symmetrical east elevation. Two storeys and attics. 5 windows and 6 to projecting Parlour range at north end. Consistent 4 light mullion-and-transom windows, C20 metal casements with lead lights throughout. Gabled 1½ storey porch at centre, with stone copings and apex finial. Stone niches, shell headed either side of a round headed entrance archway with jewelled imposts and keystone. Niches are repeated inside the porch, one of these is scratched '1618 R.M.'. Inner doorway, similar though with rusticated semi circular head. Plank and studded door, C17. The west elevation of main block, has moulded plinth and string. The doorway on alignment with front porch has moulded jambs and depressed four centred head. To the south two small C20 windows replace a former 4 light window. The added projection against the north cross wing is gabled to the west and has original mullioned windows, restored. The north elevation is of ashlar with moulded plinth and strings, and is carried up to four gables. Windows not symmetrically arranged, most are mullion-and-transomed, restored C20. At the west end of original block is a doorway with scratched I.S. 1626. Western extension of the north wing has walls of coursed rubble, with heavily restored and C20 windows of one, two and three lights. Interior: great hall fireplace, C17, stone with flanking engaged coupled corinthian columns carrying enriched entablature and pediment enclosing chenios head. Side figures. (plate 150, RCHM). Walls have compartmented C17 panelling from elsewhere. Screens passage south of the hall has in the south wall two stone doorways with moulded jambs and depressed 3 centred heads. Parlour and Boudoir have C17 fireplaces with four centred heads. The dining room has a very wide open fireplace, with 3 centred head and an oven in the east abutment. Walls lined with C17 panelling. (R.C.H.M. Dorset II, p. 260 (3)).

Listing NGR: SY7412284017


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 260


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07670/31
Rights: © Mr Ron Holmes. Source: Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].