Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1304102

Date first listed: 28-Apr-1969

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304102 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 20:54:44.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Belsay

National Grid Reference: NZ 09247 82602


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



4/50 Church of St. Andrew 28.4.69


Parish church. Late Saxon tower and nave west wall with quoins. C12, C13 and C14 with some C18 windows. Squared stone,with stone slate, Welsh slate and lead roofs.

West tower, nave and south aisle, south porch, north vestry, south chapel and chancel.

Tower: ground floor has C18 lancets on south and west sides, with heads of original windows above (cf. interior). Small original windows on 1st floor and 2-light openings with baluster mullions on second floor. C12 window above and renewed parapet.

3-bay nave has porch and lancets renewed in C18 on south side; on north side the vestry, a 2-light C16 window, with segmental heads to lights, and a large Victorian Geometric window.

South chapel has one south window with Y-tracery, a C12 east window and a C14 vesica above.

Chancel has Y-tracery window on south side and on north side one similar window and one pair of lancets.

Interior: deeply-splayed heads of Saxon ground-floor windows in the tower. Tower arch, perhaps C12, unmoulded arch with plain responds, the east side apparently carved in situ,with colonettes and foliage capitals, slightly later. Circa 1200 south arcade with quatrefoil keeled piers and stepped round arches. Chancel arch has round triple responds with cushion capitals carved on north side with faces at the corners; the arch has 2 rolls and an outer billet moulding. In chancel the responds of the former apse arch, removed when chancel was lengthened in C13, are round with cushion capitals. Above them, reset in the wall, the former voussoirs with saltire crosses. C14 sedilia, with octagonal shafts, and C14 piscina. South chapel has trefoiled niche and on the north wall a low-relief carving of shield and inscription. Early C13 south door has colonettes and 2 rows of dogtooth.

Monuments: C14 effigy of a knight in south chapel, perhaps Robert de Reynes of Shortflatt; in the chancel John Horsley, 1770, a standing monument with vermiculate rusticated base and swan-neck pediment holding coat of arms. Three medieval grave covers in south chapel; fragments of others built into south porch, also a fragment of a hogback.

Octagonal medieval font. The Church of St. Andrew, Bolam: G.W.D. Briggs: Archaeolgia Aeliana 5th Series Vol. X.

Anglo-Saxon Architecture: H.M. and J. Taylor: Cambridge 1965.

Listing NGR: NZ0924482601


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 238536

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Taylor, H M, J , , Anglo Saxon Architecture, (1965)
Briggs, G W D, 'Archaeologia Aeliana' in The Church of Saint Andrew Bolam, , Vol. 10, ()

End of official listing