GUYZANCE HALL AND EAST WING COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1304198

Date first listed: 31-Dec-1969

Statutory Address: GUYZANCE HALL AND EAST WING COTTAGE, GUYZANCE HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of GUYZANCE HALL AND EAST WING COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304198 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 11:50:00.

Location

Statutory Address: GUYZANCE HALL AND EAST WING COTTAGE, GUYZANCE HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Acklington

National Grid Reference: NU 21236 03685

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ACKLINGTON GUYZANCE HALL NU 20 SW 7/24 Guyzance Hall, and East Wing 31.12.69 Cottage GV II

Country House: Original Barnhill farmhouse c.1800 with major extensions 1894 by W.H. Knowles for J.D. Milburn; tower c.1920.

Squared stone except for squared rubble in north-west wing and snecked stone ballroom extension; graduated Lakeland slate roofs except for red clay tiles on ballroom range and flat roofs (not seen) on tower and ballroom extension. Irregular L-plan. Late C19 and early C20 parts in neo-Tudor style.

South elevation: House to left, ballroom range to right. House in 3 sections: 2-storey, 3-bay left part is original farmhouse with inserted cross window in former central doorway and flanking full-height canted bays; embattled parapet. Centre part is 3- + 4-storey 3-bay tower: projecting centre bay with coffered double doors in moulded 4-centred arch under canted oriel, and large sundial J initialled L M below carved cornice; transomed windows on returns; lower side parts with mullioned and mullioned-and-transomed windows; embattled parapets. 2-storey, 2-bay right part has timber-framed 1st floor with pebbledashed infill, and gablets over windows. All windows leaded casements. Chimney stacks with multiple octagonal shafts and moulded cornices. Lower ballroom range to right has single-storey front extension, with half-glazed door flanked by 2-light windows. Projecting cross-gabled right end bay, behind outbuilding range (q.v.) is East Wing Cottage, with early C20 casements on right return. 4-bay west (entrance) front has right-of-centre projecting porch with Ionic screen, transomed 1st floor window with '1894' date panel in blind upper light, and shaped gable; various sash windows.

Interior: Open-well stair in tower. Dining room has re-set C18 pine panelling from North Seaton Hall (now demolished), with fluted Corinthian pilasters flanking the fireplace and a good cornice. Ballroom has coffered segmental ceiling, minstrel's gallery on Ionic columns and central arcade.



Listing NGR: NU2123603685

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 236694

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing