CERNEY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1304258

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Feb-1988

Statutory Address: CERNEY HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CERNEY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304258 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 17:11:02.

Location

Statutory Address: CERNEY HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: North Cerney

National Grid Reference: SP0156007700

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTH CERNEY - SP01 075 - 02 075 16/186 Cerney House (formerly listed as 4.2.52 North Cerney House)

GV II

Country house. C17 house built by the Rich family, subsequently largely destroyed by fire and probably rebuilt by Thomas Tyndale soon after 1761, altered (possibly by James Burton) late C18, service wing added (and altered) C19, further alterations and conservatory c1970. C17 range coursed squared and dressed limestone with dressed stone quoins. C18 range: rendered. Stone slate roof with ashlar stacks (one restored C20). Rectangular C18 range with late C18 bow windows at the gable ends; remnants of the C17 range at the rear. C17 range: 2 storeys and cellar. C18 range: 3 storeys. Single storey conservatory. The remnants of the C17 range (at the north-east corner) retains one blocked cross- mullioned window and traces of further similar windows (now with mullions removed). Symmetrical 2:1:2-windowed entrance front to the C18 range with rusticated quoins; 3 storey bow windows to the gable ends: 15-pane sashes (reaching to ground level) to the ground floor; 12 and 9-pane sashes to the first and second floors respectively; central Venetian window over the entrance. All windows with plain stone architraves. C20 door with sunken panels and a rectangular hall light with decorative glazing bars under a late C20 flat-roofed porch with fluted columns supporting a fluted entablature with cornice, parapet and ball finials. Modillion cornice continued around the bow windows at either gable end which have single sash windows, one above the other matching those lighting the entrance front. Some hipped gables, axial, lateral and gable-end stack. Neo-classical interior: entrance hall opens via arch into a staircase hall with a cantilevered stone stair with C20 wrought iron balustrade. Many C18 features removed during alterations of 1970 including two niches in the entrance hall and a white marble rococo chimney piece in the drawing room. (D. Verey, The Buildings of England: The Cotswolds, 1979; V.C.H. Glos. Vol VII, p153; and N. Kingsley notes for forthcoming book n.d.)

Listing NGR: SP0156007700

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 131210

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1981), 153
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

End of official listing