FIVE POOLE MONUMENTS CIRCA 6 METRES NORTH OF NORTH AISLE IN CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1304463
Date first listed:
24-Aug-1990
Statutory Address:
FIVE POOLE MONUMENTS CIRCA 6 METRES NORTH OF NORTH AISLE IN CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF ST MARY, NEW STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FIVE POOLE MONUMENTS CIRCA 6 METRES NORTH OF NORTH AISLE IN CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304463 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 01:13:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
FIVE POOLE MONUMENTS CIRCA 6 METRES NORTH OF NORTH AISLE IN CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF ST MARY, NEW STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Stroud (District Authority)
Parish:
Painswick
National Grid Reference:
SO 86652 09656

Details

PAINSWICK NEW STREET SO 8609 (part) (south east side) 9/205 Five Poole monuments c.6 m north of north aisle in churchyard of the Church of St Mary

GV II

Five chest tombs. Late C17 to late C18. Limestone. Set on a common base, reading from north to south.

(a) Early C18. Flat table to cavetto mould, lyre ends with cartouches to west and 3 cherubim to east, bolection mould panel with supporters to north, some lettering, and cartouche panel to south, all on broad cavetto base. Records John Poole to north, and 1879 survey gives John Poole 1755, but the design may be fifty years earlier than this.

(b) Lofty chest tomb, mid to late C18. Flat table to moulded edge, elongated ¼ balusters, all replaced; sunk panels with moulded surrounds east and west, circular panel with raised moulding within square to north, plain badly worn panel to south, all on cavetto base. The 1879 survey records William Poole, 1771.

(c) Late C17. Thick moulded table to cyma edge, rounded lyre ends with cartou- ches, circular cartouche to north, sunk and moulded with embellishment to south, wide cavetto base. Mainly illegible, but date 1670 decipherable to south side, and recorded in 1879 survey as Anthony Poole, 1670: also mentions a 1658 date then visible.

(d) Late C17. Thick moulded table to cyma edge, rounded lyre ends with cartou- ches, circular panel in cartouche to north and replaced sunk panel to south on broad cyma base. Not legible, but 1879 survey records John Poole, 1667.

(e) Monument nearest to church. Early C18 or late C17. Broad thick table to cyma edge, wide lyre ends richly carved; to north is sunk moulded panel with side panels and some lettering, to the south a rich surround with supporters in high relief, drapes, and 'green man' heads, some lettering: all on cyma base. North side includes Anne (Poole), 1701, and south side Richard Poole, 1798, but the design is certainly of the earlier date.

A very important family group of monuments, all showing the continued weathering characteristic of the churchyard.

Listing NGR: SO8665209656

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
133392
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 16 Gloucestershire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/03612/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jack Farley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].