Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304684.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jul-2021 at 11:05:24.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Forest of Dean (District Authority)
Rudford and Highleadon
National Grid Reference:
SO 77975 21712



8/220 Church of St. Mary



Parish church; C12, C14, C15, restored 1869-70. Random rubble walls, larger quoins, ashlar dressings: ashlar bellcote: upper part south chancel wall rebuilt in ashlar. Small slates to nave, larger, thin slates to chancel. Nave, chancel, north garden store. West facade: plain plinth, central, boarded door, steep segmental head, plain reveals, nook shafts, scalloped capitals, chevron outer arch, hoodmould. Above 2-light reticulated tracery window. Two round-headed lancets over, with ashlar band across gable above. Gable quoins change colour 3 stones below eaves: eaves appear to have been raised and roof pitch reduced. Parapet gable: Norman-revival bellcote on apex. South facade: boarded door left of centre, moulded cover strips over joints in boarding, strap hinges; flat head, plain semi-circular tympanum. Plain reveals, nook shafts, scalloped capitals, chevron moulding to arch, plain hoodmould off abacus. Round-headed lancet above left. To right 3-light Perpendicular-tracery window, external casement moulding, no hoodmould. Parapet gable on right, cross-gablet apex with stone cross. Chancel lower, set back slightly: trefoil- headed lancet on left, large buttress to right, 2-light window ogee hoodmould with floriate finial. Gable as nave: stone ridge to roof. Interior: walls plastered, plain string course. Chancel arch scalloped capitals to double responds each side and nook shafts, double roll moulding to soffit of arch, chevron moulding outside. Roof C19 exposed arch-braced collar rafters. Chancel 2-bay ribbed quadripartite vault off scalloped capitals to responds. Semi- circular headed recess each side in second bay; double piscina in sill of main south window. Plain octagonal stone font, probably medieval floor tiles around base. Small, semi-octagonal pine pulpit: iron candle holder on spike. Pendant brass light fitting in 3 layers on chains in nave, 8 candles: similar, with 6 in chancel. Before restoration had a tower and western gallery. (Bigland: Collections for the count of Gloucester, Vol III, 1889; Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1879; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970.)

Listing NGR: SO7797621716


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Bigland, R, Historical Monumental and Genealogical Collections Relative to the County of Gloucestershire, (1889)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)
'Kellys Directory' in Gloucestershire, (1879)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10167/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael J. H. Bowden. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].