Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304746.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2021 at 19:45:12.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Forest of Dean (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 74876 28987



3/199 Church of St. John the Evangelist (previously listed as Church of St 2.10.54 John)


Parish church. C12, C13, C14, late C15. Tower and south chapel coursed, squared stone, courses of varying heights; nave largely better cut, squarish stone, ashlar to openings; roofs tiled. West tower, nave, north porch, chancel, south chapel. South facade: short, 2 stage tower: plain plinth, moulded string course shortly above: diagonally-set corner buttresses to left, 2 offsets. Bottom stage to tower plain: to right square-set buttress to end nave, rebuilt with tower. Moulded string and slight offset above: small, Tudor-arched lancet; above twin similar, with louvres. Battlemented parapet above moulded string course, heraldic animals at corners, lead chute slightly off centre to left. Low pyramid roof, tall iron spike and weathervane. Nave, plinth at ground level: 2-light window, reticulated tracery on left, no hoodmould: similar window on right, C19 tracery. Between, to left of centre, boarded south door, flat head, moulding extends around semi- circular tympanum with fish-scale carving. Nook shafts either side, volute capitals, long abacus, chevron and billet moulding to arch, chevron to hoodmould. Parapet gable, cross-gablet apex with stone cross. Chapel projects to right: plain plinth, diagonally- set corner buttresses; door with Tudor arch in left return built up in brick. Two-light window south wall, Perpendicular tracery, set back behind casement moulding, no hoodmould. Parapet gable to chancel behind as for nave. North door boarded with C13 hinges, with half moons. Stone plinth to porch, patched brick. Timber- framed sides, upper part open with 3 diamond-set bars. Arch- braces to gable truss, tie-beam and collar. Scalloped medieval bargeboards. Interior: nave walls plastered: double-ogee moulding to tower archway, no capitals. Semi-circular chancel arch, half-round columns to sides, with volute capitals, nook shafts with carved head capitals: abacus extends across east wall: chevron and nail head moulding to arch. Tie-beam and collar trusses, curved 'V' struts, curved braces to wallposts below, off carved-head corbels. Outline of stairs to 1783 gallery on tower arch. Chancel floor partly memorial slabs: semi-circular plastered ceiling, moulded ridge rib, crenellated wallplate and gable ties. Pillar piscina in south chapel; flat ceiling. Octagonal bowl to font on clustered column, c19 Royal Arms, 1817, in tower base. Fragments of medieval glass in south chapel south window, more in north windows, including Whittington arms in chancel: last repeated in early C16 glass in tower window. 1616 and 1543 brasses in south chapel; impressive marble monument to Anne Somerset, died 1764, by Symonds of Hereford, a pyramid above a sarcophagus. 1620 wall monument in nave partly cut by north window. Whittington's owned Pauntley Court in C14 and C15; Richard Whittington, Lord Mayor of London in early C15, a younger son. Benefactions board over south door. Forms group with Pauntley Court and related buildings (q.v.). (D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970; Guide to Church, c1980; R. Bigland, Collections Relative to the Count of Gloucestershire, 1791.)

Listing NGR: SO7492429100


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Church of St John the Evangelist Pauntley Church Guide, (1980)
Bigland, R , Collections Relative to the County of Gloucestershire, (1791)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12545/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian F. Squires. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].