CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1304803

Date first listed: 25-Sep-1962

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304803 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 15:57:25.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Broadland (District Authority)

Parish: Cantley

National Grid Reference: TG 38167 04140

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CANTLEY CHURCH ROAD TG 30 SE 6/23 Church of St. Margaret. 25-9-62 II* Parish church, medieval, restored c.1867. Built of flint with stone dressings, lead and slate roofs. West tower, nave, south porch, south transeptal chapel, north vestry and chancel. 2 stage tower. 2-light west window with cusped 'Y' tracery. 2-light belfry openings with 'Y' tracery infilled with a lattice of medieval bricks. Putlog holes blocked with brick and stone fragments. Brick parapet. South porch with diagonal buttresses and Perpendicular entrance with half shafts. 4 bay nave with door and 3 windows to north and 2 windows and door to south. Set back buttresses with flushwork on face. South door Perpendicular, with heraldry in spandrel oculi, and oak leaf label stops. 3-light Perpendicular windows with tracery and stilted 4 centred arches. C19 stone moulded eaves and parapet gable. South transeptal chapel with diagonal buttresses. 3-light Perpendicular south window with rectangular head and hood mould. Blocked single light window with 4 centred brick arch and saddle bars, in gable above. Blocked door to west, C19 3-light window to east. Brick parapet gable. Lean-to north vestry with diagonal buttresses and C19 'Y' traceried east window. 2 bay chancel with diagonal buttresses. C15 2 and 3-light windows to north. Central priest's door, formed from re-set Norman arch with chevron decoration, flanked by 2, 3-light Perpendicular windows with tracery and stilted 4 centred arches. C19 3-light Perpendicular style east window. C19 moulded stone eaves and parapet gables. Interior mainly C19. Perpendicular tower arch with half shafts. Perpendicular chancel arch with half shafts. Piscina in south transept, dropped sill sedilia and piscina in chancel. Inscribed brass to Frances Gaudye, died 1637, Simon Kidbull died 1735 and Jonathan Layton died 1801.

Listing NGR: TG3816704140

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 228599

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing