- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- ODDA'S CHAPEL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304997 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 03:35:11.
- Statutory Address:
- ODDA'S CHAPEL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Tewkesbury (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 86916 29850
DEERHURST DEERHURST VILLAGE
10/44 Odda's Chapel
Former chapel, now in care of English Heritage. 1056 for Earl Odda
(datestone); altered C17, C18, restored 1885, 1965. Nave random
rubble, long and short quoins, stone slate roof, chancel rendered
stone on north, irregular bond brickwork on south to ground floor,
timber-framing with rendered panels above: tiled roof. Nave,
chancel with inserted floor. North facade: gable of Abbot's Court
on left (q.v.). Ground floor to chancel 4-light wooden casement,
king mullion, leaded lights. Jettied upper floor, ovolo-moulded
jetty beam. Framing above 4 panels high to eaves, lowest close
studded, above 2 panels high each end square with curved decorative
timber across corners, narrow herringbone between framing 4-light
mullion and transom window, leaded lights; narrow panels over. To
right, set forward from lower level nave wall, east end slightly
battered. Window double-splayed, rendered reveals, tapers slightly
upwards with semi-circular head. Doorway, iron gate, plain
imposts, semi-circular head with hoodmould. Nave roof slightly
lower than chancel, which oversails east wall of nave. West wall.
plain, south facade disturbance from blocked doorway left, window
as north nave: chancel ground floor 3-light wooden mullioned
window, ovolo-moulding: above 3-panel high timber framing, close
studded, blocked window. Roof as north.
Interior: nave, brick jambs and timber lintel to former fireplace,
west wall, opening bricked up. Two stone corbels north and south
walls: chancel arch long and short quoins, moulded capitals,
horseshoe arch, plain hoodmould. C20 rafter roof: outline king
post truss on gable wall. Chancel: brick floor, outline original
south wall on right, existing further out. C13 capital set in
north-east corner: east wall brick, with reproduction of 1056
datestone, and inscribed plaque later reused as head to lancet
window. Wide-chamfered beams over to floor, exposed joists: part
floor removed. Room above blocked stone fireplace east wall, 4-
centred head; blocked doorway adjoining, plastered ceiling,
exposed spine beam, braces to tie-beam against nave wall. Chapel
became part of Abbot's Court in early C17 when house built, chancel
being floored over and most of the walls replaced, nave becoming
kitchen. 1885 chapel was recognized and partly restored, fully
disentangled from house 1965. Datestone had been found 1675 and
taken to Ashmolean Museum at Oxford. Forms group with Abbot's
Court, Priory Farmhouse and Church of St Mary (all q.v.). A.M.
(H.M. & J. Taylor, Anglo-Saxon Architecture, 1965; Sir Eric
Fletcher, Odda's Chapel, 1965; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale
and the Forest of Dean, 1970)
Listing NGR: SO8692029847
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Fletcher, E, Oddas Chapel, (1965)
Taylor, H M, J , , Anglo Saxon Architecture, (1965)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.