MORETON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1305008
Date first listed:
20-Nov-1959
Statutory Address:
MORETON HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MORETON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305008 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 14:44:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
MORETON HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
Purbeck (District Authority)
Parish:
Moreton
National Grid Reference:
SY 80632 89152

Details

SY 88 NW 4/186 MORETON 20.11.59 Moreton House

I

Mansion. Built between 1742 and 1745 by James Frampton, replacing an earlier house of c1580. The building consists of three units:- 1. The north-east wing, originally containing laundry and other service rooms of one storey and attics. 2. The central block originally containing kitchen, service rooms and minor - bedrooms, of two storeys and attics. 3. The main house, of two storeys, attics and basement. This was extended to the east in 1779. The two service ranges were the first to be built, and appear to contain some material from the former house. Main house. Walls of ashlar stone, stone slate roofs with moulded eaves cornice, stone stacks. Main west front has centre section slightly projecting, with pediment. Semi-circular window in pediment. Central doorway with part-glazed doors and fanlight under semi-circular moulded arch. Double-hung sash windows each side of this in rusticated surrounds. Ground floor also has two double-hung sash windows with glazing bars. First floor has three similar windows. Attic has two dormers with shallow gabled roofs and sashes with glazing bars. Main east front of 1779 has projecting bay in centre with three double-hung sash windows with glazing bars on each floor. On each side of this, two windows on each floor, some with double-hung sashes with glazing bars, some blocked. Three dormers in attic, similar to those on west front. Internally, most rooms have contemporary cornices and panelled doors. Good ornamental ceiling in hall, and one of 1779 in Drawing Room. Several contemporary fireplace surrounds. Stone stairs with wrought iron balustrade. On first floor, main landing enclosed by screen with Ionic columns. Central block has walls partly of rubble stone, partly of brick. Roof originally stone slated, now partly replaced with tiles. Moulded eaves cornice on west front. Rendered stacks. Main west front has three double-hung sash windows with glazing bars on each floor. Windows in north and east walls have stone mullions, some probably re-used from an earlier building. Attic has dormers with gabled roofs. Internally, some first floor rooms have C18 panelling. This block linked to main house by a passageway, originally open at ground floor level, now infilled. North-east wing, now used as outbuildings, has walls partly of rubble stone, partly of brick. Tiled roof with stone eaves courses. Brick stacks. Stone mullioned windows; cambered stone lintels to doorways. Hipped dormers in attic. A good C18 house retaining many original features. RCHM Monument 5.

Listing NGR: SY8063289152

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
108646
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].