- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305285 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 10:03:56.
- Statutory Address:
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Dorset (District Authority)
- Iwerne Courtney or Shroton
- National Grid Reference:
ST 8612 IWERNE COURTNEY OR SHROTON RANSTON
12/108 Ranston 14-7-55 GV I
Country House. West front 1753, remainder rebuilt 1961-3 incorporating much C18 material. 1753 work for Thomas Ryves of Blandford possibly by himself. 1961-3 work by Louis Osman. Rendered walls with ashlar dressings. Slate roof obscured behind parapets. Symmetrical disposed moulded ashlar stacks. The west front is in the Paladian style. Symmetrical 2 storeys with basements, 5 bays, 1:3:1. Central three bays have a giant order of fluted Corinthian pilasters carrying an entablature and pediment. The cornice continues over the outer bay. The basement storey and quoins are of rusticated ashlar. The parapet has sections of open balustrade over the outer bays and, together with the acroterion of the pediment, is surmounted by vase finials. Uniform 15-pane sashes to the ground floor and 6-pane sashes above. Balustraded double flight of stone steps with lunette window to basement are a copy of an original flight removed in the C19. 1961-3 facades are stylistically in keeping with the west front. The east front has a heavily rusticated central doorway with a Venetian window over. Internally all features are reset. The staircase dated 'Thos Ryves 1753' has stone steps, a scrolled wrought iron balustrade and a moulded wooden handrail. Panelled paintings by Casali set in ceilings and walls. Entrance hall has Ionic colonnades, possibly by the Bastards of Blandford. Similar colonnade above has typical Corinthian columns with inwardly curving volutes (Newman and Pwvsner). Restored rich rococo plasterwork. In the basement is a reset piscina of uncertain provenance under a round arch with egg and dart embellishment. Also incorporated into the basement are the remains of 2 C16 or C17 stone mullioned windows with chamfered jambs and mullions.
Although the house has been extensively rebuilt it incoporates many fine C18 features and is a rare example of the Palladian idiom in Dorset.
(RCHM, Dorset, vol III, p 128, no 3 Newman J and Pevsner N, The Buildings of England, Dorset 1972, p 237, Oswald, Arthur, Country Houses of Dorset, 1935, p 1935, p 161/2).
Listing NGR: ST8628812216
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 128
Oswald, A, Country Houses of Dorset, (1935), 161-162
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 237
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 12 Dorset,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing