CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1305327

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305327 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 16:27:06.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Iwerne Courtney or Shroton

National Grid Reference: ST8598912424

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 8512 IWERNE COURTNEY OR SHROTON MAIN STREET (West Side) 11/102 14-7-55 Church of St Mary GV I

Church, C14 chancel, C15 tower, nave, north aisle, south chapel and general remodelling. C17 south aisle and south porch 1871, chancel remodelled 1872, vestry late C19/early C20. 1610 work for Sir Thomas Freke. Greensand ashlar walls with tiled roofs having end stone copings with C17 finials. Moulded cornice. Plan: nave, chancel, north aisle, south aisle and chapel. west tower, north vestry. Tower: 3 stages separated by weathered strings diagonal buttresses to first stage has corner pilaster strips; pointed 2-light west window with stopped labels, rectangular loops to north and south second stage; 2-light, pointed belfrey windows with stopped labels. North aisle and south chapel windows are C17 of 3 graduated lancets under a pointed head with returned labels, that to the south aisle is aC19 copy. North and south chancel walls have C14 2-light windows with ogee quatrefoils. C14 pointed door to south chancel wall. East chancel window of 3-lights with rose tracery. South porch has diagonal buttresses and pointed arch.

Interior: North aisle has C17, 3 bay, segmented pointed arcade on piers with 4 attached shafts separated by a continuous hollow chamfer. The chancel arch and arch from south chapel to nave are of a similar form. The C19,2 bay south arcade has pointed arches and pier with 4 attached shafts. The tower arch is pointed of 3 straight chamfered orders the outermost of which is continuous and inner two of which die into flat jambs Roofs to nave and north and south aisles are C19 ribbed barrel vaults of semi-circular profile. Those to the nave and south aisle have carved bosses and the nave roof has carved angles at the springing point of the ribs. The south chapel has a 3-bay arch-braced collar beam roof with carved bosses. The chancel has a 2-bay, arch braced collar beam roof with king post and struts. There are carved bosses and the wall plate bears paterae. The principals spring from C19 foliage carved corbels. North aisle partitioned with C17 screen to form Freke chapel. Screen has 2 levels of panelling over which is a range of colonnettes with open lattice work. Above is an enriched entablature with carved heads surmounted by a strapwork cresting. C19 piscina. C19 terracotta reredos to the design of Lady Baker. Octagonal font, probably C12 but retoolled C17; C17, C18 and C19 monuments and floor slabs notably that to Sir Thomas Freke and his wife Elizabeth, 1633. This has open segmental pediment, sculptured pediment and carved putti, angels, doves etc. Other fittings and furnishings largely Cl9. The church is an interesting example of C17 Gothic work with affinities with the chapel at Higher Melcombe House, also for Sir Thomas Freke. It is, however, stylistically unlike the series of C17 north Dorset Churches including Folke, Ryme Intrinsica and Leweston (RCHM Dorset, vol III, p 126/7, no 1 Newman and Pevsner N. The Buildings of England: Dorset, Penguin 19?2j p 236/7).

Listing NGR: ST8598912424

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 103190

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970)
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 236-237

End of official listing