CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1305506
Date first listed:
20-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305506 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 15:54:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Witheridge
National Grid Reference:
SS 80326 14569

Details

WITHERIDGE CHURCH STREET (north side), SS 81 SW Witheridge 9/73 Church of St John the 20.2.67 Baptist GV I Anglican parish church. Circa 1500, restored 1841 and 1884. Coursed local rubble, freestone dressings, slated roofs, coped verges, some lead-sheeting roofs. Plan: nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south porch, small south porch to chancel, 1884 north vestry, west tower of 1841. Mostly Perpendicular style, Victorian work of Gothic style. Exterior: lofty 3-stage Perpendicular tower with set-back buttresses rising to the third stage, this rebuilt in 1841, embattleu parapet, large corner pinnacles on square bases, small semi-circular head bell-chamber windows with louvres, labels, similar windows to the ringing-chamber stage, small semi-circular headed 3-light west window, semi-circular heads to the lights, semi-circular head west doorway, blocked with small 2-light windows inserted in 1884. 4-bay south aisle, all 3-light Perpendicular windows with tracery replaced 1841, parapets to the main body of the building replaced also at this time; polygonal stair-turret to the east giving access to the former rood loft, tiny foiled stairlight. South porch with diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet with 3 large pinnacles (C19). 4-bay north aisle is Perpendicular. Simple vestry with chimney dated:- "1884", reused C13 2-light window. Single bay chancel, C13 2-light window reset to the south, large 3-light C19 east window with reticulated tracery. Scratch dial on south wall; priest's door to south with a neo-Perpendicular type porch, probably 1841. Main entrance to interior with a good 4-centred arch head with carved ornamental spandrels, ribbed and studded door. Interior: plastered walls with colourwash, nave and 2 aisles with 4-bay quite tall arcades; the piers of Pevsners B-type with "standard capitals". Squint from the south aisle chancel arch. Ceiled wagon roof in the nave. Perpendicular font, octagonal, richly decorated with quatrefoils. Perpendicular-stone pulpit with figures in narrow panels under ogee canopies. In one panel a Crucifixion. C19 pews with plain bench ends. Some windows with C19 stained glass. Some plain C19 monuments.

Listing NGR: SS8032714568

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
97476
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/13422/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Sue Spurr. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].